JC
Posted By
Jim_Corban
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone had Photoshop Elements for Mac OSX freeze during launch, during the download of a an "Adobe Online component" call AWEXFiles.txt? I can no longer use Elements because of this – even reinstalling doesn’t fix it.

– Jim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 6, 2004
When you uninstalled you probably did not go in and manually remove the Elements Preference folder. Look for it in your Home folder, applications, preferences. Or, perhaps simpler, launch Elements and then immediately grab for the Command, Option, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new preference folder will rebuild as Elements launches. And let’s hope that will at least let you get it open once.

If you can get Elements to start one time, immediately go to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online and set the frequency at which Elements checks for updates to Never. That should totally disable that portion of the PSE start up routine.

Hopefully this will get you up and running. If not, please repost.
JC
Jim_Corban
Aug 6, 2004
I tried the Cmd+Option+Shift method to delete the Settings, and the next time I launched it froze again in the same way. However, I was able to get through to customer support and they had me delete the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web folder, which worked.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 6, 2004
Good, thanks for posting that fix, because it will be handy to have in the archives if this situation comes up again.

Now you did go in and change that Frequency setting, too, didn’t you? There are no updates, so there’s no point in having it go through the routine every time you start the application.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections