DS
Posted By
Dick_Smith
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looked out back a few minutes ago…..where were these clouds during the challenge?

http://tinyurl.com/399mg

Dick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 9, 2004
ya ! Iwas thinking the same thing last week when we were having those funky storms. The clouds were spectacuar ! Nice capture Dick 🙂
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 9, 2004
Dick,

I spy with my little eye… a Chinook.

Neat pics!!

Byron
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 9, 2004
Dick,

Beautiful! Didn’t you mention a while back that there is some building planned near you? Couldn’t find the post. I sincerely hope it’s not in any part of these pictures.

Bob
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 9, 2004
Bob,

Yep that’s where it will be. They say the new homes will be below our level of view. Don’t know exactly what that means, but….

If you go back to the link where the clouds were, at the top of the window click on the word "Albums" that’ll take you to the main gallery page, then open the one called "New Sub"

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 9, 2004
I spy with my little eye… a Chinook.

Thanks, Byron, couldn’t remember what that helo was called. I don’t know if that’s a Forest Service chopper or is one of the Reserve units that uses the Asheville Airport. I took another shot closer up but the detail is really bad.

Dick
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 9, 2004
Dick,

I see what you mean. The mistake I made 28 years ago was not planting as many Hemlocks as I could just inside my property line. We are well screened by mixed hardwoods Spring through Fall and the neighborhood is stable but I sure wish I’d blocked the Winter view.

Maybe some careful planting now would get you ahead of the development?

Bob
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 10, 2004
Bob,

I did plant 20 White Pine seedlings 4 years ago and they’re coming up to about 4ft in height. Next spring I’m going to "break the candles" and start them bushing out a bit.

We may put in a bunch of Leyland Cyprus this fall, they grow fairly quickly and are a terrific screen.

But, I don’t want to cover up the mountains anymore than necessary. The one in that picture that stands out the best is Mt. Pisgah about 25 miles from here and 5300 ft high. Not much by Colorado specs but looks good from here.

Dick
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 10, 2004
Be careful of White Pines, they grow very fast and can get very high, then when they get in the way and overwhelm a yard, it costs a lot to take them down especially if they are near houses or power lines. I have a friend in the tree business, and White Pines are his least favourite. But a moneymaker for him. We have had him take down 2 for us that my husband dared not touch with his chain saw. Big, brittle and dangerous.
Jane
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 10, 2004
Dick,

The beauty of the Blue Ridge in NC needn’t take a back seat to anywhere. One of our favorite trips was a visit to the Great Smokeys. The best part was the run up the parkway to Asheville with peak Spring flowers. Somewhere I probably have a shot looking east over your home territory. Have to dig those out and scan them in now that I know how to reduce the haze.

As a resident of the most densly populated state in the country (1134 residents per square mile) I envy you. When you consider that we have some huge unsettled areas that density is scarey.

Water and feed those trees.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections