JC
Posted By
Jan_C._Doddy
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, I’ve asked this qusetions several months ago – received several replies, and still no real answer. Even after taken a 2 day seminar on PS 7.0 and asking the instructor – still no answer.

So, will CS do this? I’m currently running 7.0.1.

Until I can afford to upgrade all my cameras, so until then, I will still need to convert the color space to Adobe 1998. I’ve tried all the actions that everyone has suggested – no go! I do a lot of event coverage and as some of you know, lots of images!!!!

It seems that "Actions" will not record the color space conversion part when going through the paces.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Jan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 24, 2004
Are you sure you’re recording the action correctly? Are you going to image>mode>convert to profile? Does it work on individual images?
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 24, 2004
In your action, use the triangle in the actions palette and use Insert Menuitem. Then do your conversion. Then stop recording. That will record the conversion in the action.

Peace,
Tony
M
Mr._Jan_Doddy
Feb 25, 2004
Tony, the "Insert Menu Item" is NOT highlighted in the beginning, nor after I start the action. I also get the message "no menu item selected". How and when do you do the "Insert Menu Item"? I’ve tried all different ways.

What’s next?

Jan
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 25, 2004
Actually, I just tested it. You don’t even need Insert MenuItem.

Try this as an experiment. Open an image, make sure it’s in sRGB. Start recording your action. Image|Mode|Convert to Profile (or Assign Profile) .

The step is recorded in the action palette.

I’m not sure where you’re having trouble.

Peace,
Tony
JC
Jan_C._Doddy
Feb 25, 2004
Tony, once again – thanks for getting back to me. It must be me – it didn’t work. Here is what I did the first time today –
1 – clicked "new Action"
2 – opened image in sRGB
3 – clicked on "Image", then "Mode", then "Convert to Profile", which it did
4 – Save then close.

In the action set named "Convert Color Space" I have

"Open"

"convert color space"

"close"

The second time I tried the same action – after deleting the first, I just recorded the conversion part. That didn’t work either.

What it’s doing is still asking what profile and not going to the one I’ve chosen.

What’s next???

Jan
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 25, 2004
Jan,

First of all, I would almost never include File|Open or Close in my action. You embed specific file name and location in the action when you do that, but that’s a side point.

Have an image open.

Record: Convert To Profile

Image|Mode|Convert to Profile

Select your profile and accept the dialog

Stop recording.

Look at the actions palette. Next to the action name is a dialog toggle. Toggle it OFF.

Open a different image.

Play your action.

In regards to file|open and file|close, there’s a better way to apply your action to images. You include a Save As step and use File|Automate|Batch. That way you can run it on all open images, or a folder of images.

Peace,
Tony
JC
Jan_C._Doddy
Feb 26, 2004
Tony, this is driving me crazy! Let me lay out the situation –

I need to batch convert sometimes over 100 images

images are in the sRGB color space from all of my cameras

I have my color space in Adobe PS set up for Adobe 1998 RGB

images will not even open until they are converted.

When I open an image, the very first thing that comes up is about the "embedded profile mismatch" and then the choice of 3. This is where I choose "convert document’s colors to the working space".

I want to keep all color space profiles set to Adobe 1998 RGB so I don’t have to be switching back and forth. Adobe 1998 RGB needs to be the end result for all images.

What I would like to do is

take all the sRGB color space images in a directory and batch convert them to Adobe 1998 RGB and do a save.

This way when I need to open or work on them, they are set to the color space I need, Adobe 1998 RGB, and I can just keep on working.

Now, I open, convert, save, and then do what I need to do to each image – one at a time!

I hope this helps because I’ve tried all of your suggestions, and BTW, thanks for your help, and it’s not doing what I need.

Your last suggestions does do the conversion, however, when I open an image – the color space is a mismatch, so I still get asked the question. If I tell it to disregard, and run the conversion action, it will do it. This doesn’t help, still too many steps.

Open for suggestions,

Jan
SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 26, 2004
Under edit>color settings, uncheck ask when opening profile mismatches.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 26, 2004
the very first thing that comes up is about the "embedded profile mismatch"

Sandy’s right. I had no idea that you were getting a Profile Mismatch dialog box. I thought it was the dialog box that you see when you convert profile.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 26, 2004
To expand upon Sandy’s posting:

From Edit>Colour Settings set your Colour Management Policy for RGB to Convert to Working RGB.
Uncheck Profile Mismatches: Ask When Opening
JC
Jan_C._Doddy
Feb 26, 2004
Sandy, I still get the "Profile Mismatch" dialog box, and all that does is remove the ability to choose which color profile to use.
?????????

Jan
M
Mr._Jan_Doddy
Feb 26, 2004
Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you! That did it. All this time and that 20 seconds of clicking to make those few changes did it. And better yet, I don’t need to run an action to accomplish it!

Thanks again, Tony, Sandy and Len.

Shewwww!

Jan
L
LenHewitt
Feb 27, 2004
You’re very welcome, Jan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections