C
Posted By
clarksp
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select File > Open no dialog box appears. However the application behaves as though a dialog box is open just not visible. I have recently discovered the same behavior with File > Save As…

I followed the advice in a previous forum listing to press the escape key, but that did not fix the problem. I looked in the registry for a dialog box position cache but did not find one.

At this point Photoshop is essentially unusable. Please help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 26, 2004
This is probably an "off screen" dialog.
Increase your screen pixel count to maximum, (2000×1600 or so) call the dialog again, drag it to the top left corner, and OK it.
revert to your prefered screen res.

This behaviour sometimes occurs after switching from dual monitors to one.

Ps also see the FAQ for more solutions.
Rob
C
clarksp
Feb 26, 2004
I looked at the FAQs before posting my listing.

– Screen resolution is not the issue. I only work at one resolution and I increased it when investigating this issue.
– Pressing esc does not close any dialog boxes.

This response and the FAQs do not seem to address the issue. Any other suggestions?
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 26, 2004
Have you tried trashing your prefs?

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2004
since you’ve never changed your res, did you run dual monitors at one time and remove one?

in any case, if adjusting the res doesn’t get you to the box back, resetting the prefrences definately will.
C
clarksp
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. I have also never had this hooked to a dual monitor system. Also, I’m not exactly sure how to reset my preferences. Thanks.
SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 26, 2004
Hold down control+shift+alt when launching Photoshop. Answer "yes" when it prompts to replace preferences.
C
clarksp
Feb 26, 2004
I tried this and it launches the Windows properties dialog. Is there another way? Thanks.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 26, 2004
It’s in the FAQ (top of this forum) Just checked it, it’s there. Rob
C
clarksp
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks. I found the FAQ titled "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences". I did a search on the hard disk and deleted the file named "Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp". None of the other *.psp files seemed appropriate.

Unfortunately I am still experiencing the original problem. Other suggestions?
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 26, 2004
Go to control panel and run the System Applet. Find Video Hardware Acceleration and set it to NONE. If the problem goes away, it’s a vid driver issue. You will need to either update, or rollback a version of your vid drivers.

That’s all I can think of…

Peace,
Tony
C
clarksp
Feb 26, 2004
This didn’t solve it either. Thanks for all of the good suggestions. If we can’t figure it out I will try reinstalling Photoshop.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections