J
Posted By
JCW
Nov 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Working on a panoramic that is 1.5GB with the adjustment layers it still only says it’s 2.5GB, but every time I try and save it as a Tiff I get a message that it is over 4GB and can’t be saved as a Tiff. Any ideas what’s going on here? Plenty of hard drive space & Ram, using 10.5.5 CS 3

Thanks for any insights. Jeff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 25, 2008
The composite image for the TIFF adds to the file size.
And the options you chose when saving the TIFF affect the file size. And your document size in memory doesn’t relate directly to file size.

If it says that it is over 4 Gig, then it really is over 4 Gig. If it warns that it "might be" over 4 Gig, then that’s just an estimation – it might or might not be when done.
J
JCW
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks Chris for your response, after searching I haven’t found a lot on this topic. is psb the best way to save large layered files? Thanks Jeff
B
Buko
Nov 25, 2008
Yes Use PSB. If you save a file that goes over a limit you will not be able to reopen the file and all your work will be wasted.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Nov 25, 2008
It’s very easy to save a .psd that is over 2 gigs – unfortunately you can’t ever open it again. Buko’s advice is spot on. When I see a file even getting close to 2 gigs I go to .psb.

pbc
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 25, 2008
JCW – TIFF may get you better compression, but is limited to 4Gig. PSB doesn’t have the size limitation, but isn’t as portable to other applications.

Paul – we should have checks in place to prevent saving a PSD over 2Gigs, it should fail and tell you to save as PSB.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections