Can’t save files (already in use / left open)

JM
Posted By
Jesse_McCarthy
Nov 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep getting an error in Photoshop that is extremely irritating and a big problem.

I’ll have a file open, and from the point it was last saved do nothing but work on it in Photoshop — not open it in any other applications or anything. Then when I try to use the Save command I get this error message:

‘Could not save "FILENAME" because the file is already in use or was left open.’

The only place the file is in use is in Photoshop.

It may have something to do with the thumbnail browser in Windows XP, but I haven’t been able to establish that conclusively yet.

Any information appreciated.

Photoshop 6.0.1 / Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 1.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 25, 2003
Why, yes, it has to do with XP’s thumbnail browser. There are wierd and unsolvable interaction issues between XP’s Explorer and psicon.dll (it was dropped in Photoshop CS partly because of this).

Try closing all Explorer windows. Sometimes this helps. Sometimes a reboot is needed (save the file to a different name first!).

-Scott
JM
Jesse_McCarthy
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks Scott. Is there no way to avoid this problem? Adobe has no fix?

I have a document open right now that is causing the error. I closed all Explorer windows (and every app other than Photoshop), no affect. I know I can save the file with a different name and clear the block by rebooting, but that is a very broken situation. I either have to muck up my hard drive with countless useless copies of Photoshop documents, or keep track of them all and perform regular sweeps, or reboot at inconvenient times, none of which are appealing options.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 25, 2003
you can rename psicon.dll to psicon.old then reboot. it’s in the main adobe folder, where the photoshop.exe is. note that you’ll lose the ability to view a teeny tiny representation of your image in windows explorer "Large Icon" mode.
JM
Jesse_McCarthy
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks Dave, I’ll try that. A small price to pay if it solves the problem.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 25, 2003
I’ve never had the problem, but those who have have reported that this works.
JM
Jesse_McCarthy
Nov 26, 2003
I just renamed the file and reset my computer, so I’ll see how it goes. FYI, on my system it was \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell\psicon.dll

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections