Save any document in Mac Photoshop CS4, try to open in Windows CS3, will not work for anything

JJ
Posted By
Jack_Jorner
Nov 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok so I have a problem. First, let me get a couple of things out of the way

Technical experience: Intermediate – Advanced
Machine: New Mac Pro Quad Core, Nvidia 8800 GT

Ok, so I have a colleague who uses Windows, and uses Photoshop CS3. I use a Mac, and I use CS4. Files saved to .psd on my computer, will not open on said colleagues computer.

Yes, I checked the option for max compatibility. No, the file is not corrupted, because while I have CS4, I also still have CS3, and unless CS4 installs some compatiblity pack that I have scoured the web looking for (highly unlikely it exists), without alteration all my .psd files saved in CS4 open with absolutely no hassle in CS3.

Just to make it clear, I’m not doing anything special either. I open a random file, do something simple like crop, save as .psd, keep the maximize compatibility checkbox marked, and it will not work for me unfortunately. I have called Adobe support and they are absolutely clueless as to what the problem could be.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 5, 2008
Your files are being saved with the suffix ".psd" attached?
JJ
Jack_Jorner
Nov 5, 2008
They are being saved as regular Photoshop Documents, aka .psd, the short hand notation for referring to them. I know what you are trying to infer, I guess I should have been more clear. The files do not look like:

blahblah.psd.psd

They are saving as regular .psd’s (aka regular Photoshop Documents wiht no extra .psd suffixes attached ontop of already existing ones), and like I said I can open these files with my Photoshop CS3 (mac), just not Photoshop CS3 for Windows.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 5, 2008
Could there be something wrong with your colleague’s installation?

Can you try opening the files on a different Windows machine?

Are there any of the "forbidden" characters (periods, slashes etc.) in the names of the files?
B
Buko
Nov 5, 2008
How are you sending these file to your friend?

If you are emailing them I suggest zipping the files before sending them.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 5, 2008
‘blahblah.psd.psd’ would open fine on a Mac or Windows machine.

Should we assume that the CS3 PSD files opened on your colleague’s machine and it was not until you installed CS4 that the problem began? Should we also assume that you are using the same file transfer method that worked with CS3 files?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 5, 2008
We need some sample files that won’t open in CS3.

Adobe tests backward compatibility quite extensively, and we haven’t seen anything like that.
JJ
Jack_Jorner
Nov 5, 2008
No forbidden characters

I’m dropping the files on an FTP, and I also tried sending it regularly. Same problem, though this is definitely not it, because I can sent it to myself and CC someone, it will again open fine for me, but not for my colleague.

blahblah.psd.psd would open fine? Fair enough, I had never tried that, I had just surmised that that was the point Ann was trying to get at.

Jim Jordan, yes my colleague is a designer and works with Photoshop files day in and day out and has never had problems with any file, either sent from e-mail, or dropped on the FTP for her, that is until I decided to get CS4.

So this is the very interesting part, and thank you Ann, I at least have a starting point to work with; opening this file on another Windows machine in the office worked. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would Photoshop function absolutely perfect, except for opening psd files saved via compatibility from CS4? I just can’t figure out why it would do that. I think my colleague might have Adobe Photoshop CS3 (and that is explicitly what I tried to open it with, make no mistake, I didn’t just double click, I clicked open with and navigated directly to PHotoshop Cs3), in ADDITION to Image Ready.

To be fair, the copy of CS3 on the computer I tried, is a newer copy of Adobe Web Premium CS3, and a newer computer. My colleague works with Adobe Design Standard CS3 and an older computer. I’m definitely willing to reinstall for my colleague, but I don’t want to uninstall/install and the same outcome, which wouldn’t be too surprising, because nothing about her current setup is broken, only opening files from my computer, only when they are saved from CS4 (CS3 never had any troubles whatsoever).
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 5, 2008
I also tried sending it regularly

We can’t tell what ‘regularly’ means. For example, if you are sending a file by email with Entourage and the recipient has Outlook, there may be an issue. Whether you are submitting a troubleshooting report to Adobe or to fellow users in a forum, it helps to know specifics.

What mail programs are in use? Are you using features specific to the Extended version? What error message upon opening is presented on her system? Can you open the file if your colleague bounces it back to you?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 5, 2008
Send the file to Chris….
B
Buko
Nov 5, 2008
Have you tried zipping the file?

Are you saving a maximized version?
JJ
Jack_Jorner
Nov 6, 2008
Jim,

There is no issue with the file caused by any mail clients. Although I’m using Entourage and the recipient has Outlook, this 100% is not the problem, because whether I use this method, or drop it on the FTP, it is the exact same problem, which rules it out, and on top of that, the fact that I said trying the file on another computer worked, even rules that out twice as much. The fact that every single file I have ever sent before this psd file saved from CS4 photoshop via these same exact methods has worked is yet more confirmation on top of this. Why would it just affect optimized psd files from CS4 and not affect optimized psd files from CS3? It just wouldn’t make any sense from a technical standpoint, I have been trying to hint at this point the whole time in a nice/low key/respectful way because I appreciate the help.

I understand what you mean by specifics but through this whole thread, everything I have said has contradicted the fact that any simple mistakes are almost 100% not the cause, just based on previous usage, which is also why I put my level of technical knowledge at the very start of my posts. Whatever the problem is, it is a very weird and unorthodox problem.

I already have a solution, but I don’t know the specific problem or how to specifically reproduce it / intentionally not reproduce it.

I have already tested it on another computer (via Entourage/Outlook & FTP) and it worked fine, but since the installation on that particular colleague’s computer has worked fine for a long time, and has never had any problem with any optimized .psd except for CS4 optimized files, I’m not sure just re-installing it is going to fix anything.

I can of course send a .psd to someone, but it’s probably going to work, it just won’t answer my question. Though if it would help, I can do a quick file. If so, who do I send this to, and how do I get their contact?

Zipping doesn’t work.

Saving a maximized version? huh? You mean max compatibility? Yes. CS4 has it to prompt after saving it, and it is auto checked. I tried saving with/without, no difference, still didn’t work.
VC
vizio_comp
Dec 28, 2008
psd created on mac can’t open in windows photoshop?
NT
Nini Tj
Dec 28, 2008
Does file contain fonts? Fonts are not comaptible between platforms unless they are OpenType fonts. Did you check which kind of preview you are saving with and try to change that to something a PC can understand?
Do you use the correct file-suffix and filenaming?
Did you check with the receiver of the files if he/she has a system that is case-sensitive (for filenames)?
Did you check the names of your files and what the receiving end can receive?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections