Can Mac Photoshop files open on a PC/Windows machine? I’m a student and I need some help!

TR
Posted By
T_Rufai
Apr 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a student and I need help. Can Macintosh Photoshop 7 (educational version) files be opened on a PC/Windows machine that also has Photoshop (full version) with no special kind of program? Can it just be flat out opened on a PC/Windows machine? I know it can work the other way around–from PC/Windows to Mac, right? Thanks in advance.

TR

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ST
Scott T Martin
Apr 8, 2004
Sure! Just make sure it’s on a disk readable by a PC. The PSD format has been from the start a cross platform format. As is JPEG, TIF, and many others. For good measure you might also want to check and make sure that Photoshop’s preferences are set to ‘Maximize File Compatibility’ so that you won’t have problems between different versions of Photoshop.

While .psd files can be opened by Photoshop (and a few other applications) JPEG is the most supported image format – just about any application on any device will open a JPEG.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 9, 2004
Just make sure you have the proper extensions (.psd, .jpg) on the end of the files for PC.
ST
Scott T Martin
Apr 9, 2004
Good point!
G
gmlaster
Apr 12, 2004
If you’re trying to open the files by double-clicking on them from Explorer, be sure that your Mac files have the proper extension on them (i.e., .psd, .jpg, .gif, etc.). As Mac users, we don’t need extensions on our files and we tend not to put them on. So when the files are brought over to Windows, they are not recognized as Photoshop files. However, as soon as you put the extension on the file, its icon will change and you’ll be able to double-click on it to have it open in Photoshop.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections