photoshop cs2 crashes and reboot windows xp without any error message when I try to open a file

B
Posted By
beta32
Mar 21, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I downloaded the trial version (assessment for thirty days) of Adobe Photoshop cs2. Once installed the trial version, the program works correctly, except for a basic function: to open files and modify them. Any image files (jpeg-gif-png-tiff-bmp-psd) on press command FILE>OPEN, or Ctrl+O, to open it, sends the system in crash, and without any warning message, send to "restart" the operating system, in my case , windows xp.

I use also photoshop cs, and it works correctly and allows to open file image also; but not with cs2.

What’s the problem?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
BILL_HUNT
Mar 21, 2009
Systemic crashes *often* point to a hardware, or an OS problem.

You might want to open Event Viewer and take a look at both the System and the Applications tabs. What errors are you encountering? Unfortunately a lot of the error messages are very cryptic, but click on any Windows link in them, to see if they point you to something in the MS Knowledgebase.

You might also want to post your system specs and your OS setup.

Also, what happens if you drag one of these files from Windows Explorer to an open PS?

Good luck,

Hunt
M
Mylenium
Mar 22, 2009
CS2? Where would you buy that, once you have finished your evaluation? Sounds like an awful waste of time, given that CS4 is all the rage. Your issue may be related to some functions not correctly having been updated when you installed the trial… As a minor, trash the prefs file.

Mylenium
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 22, 2009
the fact that it reboots points to probably getting a blue screen with the "reboot" option (the default – my computer> properties> advanced> startup and recovery> auto restart) turned on. my guess is a driver problem.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 22, 2009
of course if you turn that off and it STILL reboots, it’s probably bad hardware related.
B
beta32
Mar 22, 2009
The error message I see in a Event Viewer after the program crashed is the following:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1041
Date: 22/03/2009
Time: 09:05:52
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PENTA

Description:
Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for
{CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp>.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 22, 2009
so driver error. start updating (or reloading the latest) drivers.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Mar 22, 2009
Go into start and type in regedit. Click on edit, find and type in CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D. Don’t change anything as all your doing is looking for a hint of the problem. You can expand the hive at that location and the keys "should" tell you what it is so you can narrow the problem down. Write it down and close out.

I also googled this and found out that people with IE8 beta installs had this issue a lot too.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections