If I upgrade from CS3 Windows to CS4 Mac , will my windows CS3 still work?

V
Posted By
vexiphne
Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Subject says it all.

I would like to have photoshop CS4 on my mac but be able to retain the useage of CS3 on my windows machine. Is this possible or will upgrading cancel out my ability to use CS3?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 21, 2008
This is called a crossgrade, in which you must destroy the Windows version. Search this forum or adobe.com for much more on this term.

If you were upgrading Win CS3 to Win CS4, you could still use CS3 with CS4.

Boot Camp or Parallels anyone?
V
vexiphne
Oct 21, 2008
I would rather just get rid of the windows version completely and go mac, because the trial i had with mac ran amazingly faster than my PC version.

Thanks for your help, I will just have to wait on this and hope I luck into more money for a full mac version.
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
with a crossgrade you get the full Mac version for the price of an upgrade.
V
vexiphne
Oct 22, 2008
does that mean that my windows version will completely stop working though? authentication error or such would crop up saying that my serial/activation is invalid?
B
Buko
Oct 22, 2008
does that mean that my windows version will completely stop working though?

Yes you will need to sign a letter of destruction.
This means you have completely destroyed your Windows version CDs and have completely removed it from your hard drives. (Remember with activation they know if you are using the software illegally).
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 22, 2008
Illogical in the sense that usage by one user on two computers is allowed, so why not one on Win and one on Mac?
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2008
Allen,

Call Adobe and whine…

It’s futile. People have been clamoring in large numbers for cross-platform licensing of Photoshop at all levels of the Adobe hierarchy since CS3 was released. [And even before that.]

The official word is a flat NO.

why not one on Win and one on Mac?

Because Adobe insists they are two separate, distinct products.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 22, 2008
because the trial i had with mac ran amazingly faster than my PC version.

Platform, schmatform. Whatever hardware is newer is going to give you faster response. What happens if you update your Windows hardware too? What happens when you run your Windows Photoshop in a virtual Windows environment <http://www.parallels.com/> or alternate boot <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html> on your Mac hardware?

wait … for a full mac version.

Since you apparently want to run PS on both platforms, why don’t you run Windows on your Mac hardware?
V
vexiphne
Oct 22, 2008
Because i have two computers that i use simultaneously, 1 mac and 1 pc. I would not own a mac if I wanted to run windows on it hehe.

I have software I use on windows because it is more supported than the mac version of it. ( some companies shouldn’t tease and say they have a mac version unless they actually have a tech squad capable of squashing bugs )

It is very convenient to have photoshop on my windows pc along with that software.

My PC and Mac are almost identical in specs ( 4gb ram, 2.13 ghz core 2 duo vs 2.4 ghz core 2 duo ) yet my mac can open files from my PC’s desktop 10x faster than my PC can. – over the network. I keep my PC in top shape, i defrag, i run malware / antivirus cleaners, I check my registry regularly. Its just not close to being as fast as my mac.

I use my mac primarily for webdesign/development work and thats why I would love to have a permanent version of photoshop on it. the work I do on my PC is related to 3d and the software I use has very poor mac support.

So my question has been answered, I am unable to crossgrade to mac and retain a working PC version. so for now, i get to upgrade the PC version and wait for a few more $ until i can grab a full mac version. at which point i might even go all out and grab the $1700 suite.

Thank you for the help!
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 22, 2008
vexiphne,

Its just not close to being as fast as my mac.

As a Mac user, it would be very easy to badmouth your PC. <g> But with comparably-spec’d machines, the average speed for everything you do should be similar. Not necessarily universally across the board, but at the end of the day, the average speed should be roughly the same.

There may be something else going on with your Winbox.

Still, if you configure your Mac to also work under Windows, you will have a virtually identical working experience as you would with a dedicated Windows machine — it is a legitimate PC, from CPU speed to virus vulnerability — with the convenience of being able to toggle over to a fully configured Mac, all in one box.

Neil
V
vexiphne
Oct 22, 2008
As a mac user, it is very easy for me to badmouth my pc lol. I really cannot wait for the day that I can put this wretched beast to sleep and two-box 2 macs. If i did not indulge in some PC gaming, I am positive I would not be affiliated with windows whatsoever. the main 3d program I use has poor support overall but its more polished in Windows than it is in OS X.

The unfortunate thing about windows is the only time it runs *great* is right after a fresh reformat. and truly, i don’t have the patience to reinstall my stuff every few months.

Some day I will trade it in for a Mac Pro with 1.5+ terabytes of space and a stupid amount of ram 😀
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 22, 2008
You can put 6TB of space in a MacPro and 32GB of memory.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections