Online Services/jpeg2000 plugin/recipes problem?

BT
Posted By
Bob_Turk
May 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Windows XP Pro, and PE2

When I go to "Online Services" in the file menu, I get a message that PE is "unable to download list of current services. Using most current list of services".

Clicking OK to this message leads to a dialog box, the "Online Services Wizard" This contains a box that includes "Adobe Systems" and "Shutterfly" The Shutterfly part seems to work!

When I try to download the Windows jpeg plugin, or Recipes I get an "Unexpected error has occurred while communicating with the online service. Please try again". Trying again is futile. Seems like the first time I tried this, a little box with a small whirring line appeared before the error message?

What is the jpeg2000 plugin?
Are there new Recipes available for download through this part of the File menu? How do I solve this problem (i.e. successfully download Recipes and the jpeg2000 plugin?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BT
Bob_Turk
Jun 1, 2004
I thought I might get some help on this forum for my problems in post# 1, but do not see any response so far.

Surely, I am not the only one who has run into the above issues?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 1, 2004
Many of us have the same problem when trying to download recipes. It doesn’t work much more often than it does, but eventually you get lucky and get the connection. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Just keep trying over and over, and I wager you’ll finally get through.

If you haven’t done so already, I strongly suggest you go to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online and set the frequency for checking for automatic updates to Never. So far Adobe hasn’t released any updates for PSE, and I seriously doubt they ever will.

JPEG 2000 isn’t of much practical use. Right now there are very few programs that recognize the format, so if you never get it, you won’t be missing much.
BT
Bob_Turk
Jun 3, 2004
Beth-

Many thanks for the informative reply.

Yesterday, the jpeg200 plugin downloaded after numerous tries in the past!

I will take your advice re Recipes, and setting preferences.

Bob
YL
Yves_Leroux
Jun 10, 2004
Beth,

Is there a way to get those recipes directly from the web rather than just keep trying from PE? The Adobe site does not show any download for recipes…
PJ
Paul_J_Dickler
Jun 15, 2004
I, too, run into this problem attemtping to download the JPEG 2000 plugin. So I ask, can I just locate/download it manually?

Hello, ADOBE??????
YL
Yves_Leroux
Jun 16, 2004
Hello ADOBE??????????? Do you care what about customers concerns? I am not sure… Anybody home???
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 16, 2004
Sorry, guys, but this is a user forum not regularly monitored by Adobe. You might want to check the main Adobe site and see if you can locate an e-mail address for online customer support. I don’t know if one exists, but if you can find one, that would be a better place for registering complaints.

As far as I know, accessing Recipes and the JPEG 2000 plugin from within Elements is the only way either can be had, which makes sense if you think about it. And as to why the download site is so quirky – don’t have a clue, but I assume it’s tied to reliability of the server, and I don’t know how much control Adobe has over that.
YL
Yves_Leroux
Jun 16, 2004
Beth,

1- I have tried and found out there is no free support at ADOBE : — none on their web site
— when you call, they first ask for your credit card number before you get connected to a techie who in turn will decide, at his/her sole discretion, if the issue is an ADOBE issue or something else, hence decide whether to charge for the call, a minimum of $39 per "incident" in tech support lingo.
This is not an acceptable business practice and I told the people I spoke with, but that’s "company policy". Ooops! That’s stuff for the BBB or the FTC…

It’s like you buy a car, find out something is not working, call the dealer who says he needs your money before he even considers looking at the problem.

2- Re why those downloads don’t work and there is so many of us complaining: whatever the reason, ADOBE owes a warranty to its customers. No excuse if it is a server problem either…Who are we kidding here?

3- Why ADOBE does not monitor the forum puzzles me, since it is accessed through their web site… Feed back from customers is never a bad thing in any kind of business (at least in my business…)

Just thoughts…
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 16, 2004
3- Why ADOBE does not monitor the forum puzzles me, since it is accessed through their web site… Feed back from customers is never a bad thing in any kind of business (at least in my business…)

Correction : Adobe does monitor these forums, but not directly, and not for the purpose of helping users. They mandate someone in particular (in our case, it’s Mr Bob Hill), but he doesn’t speak for Adobe, nor can he supply free support.

As for calling the FTC or the BBB because Adobe charges a certain fee per incident… Get ready to call them often, because as far as I know, there are a lot of companies around here that act quite like Adobe (Microsoft, Corel, to name a few). With Microsoft, you get two free incidents per product. With Corel, it’s based upon the product you bought (i.e. Low end = paying support, higher end = a certain number of support calls free of charge).

Ray
YL
Yves_Leroux
Jun 16, 2004
Ray,

If I did not have the feeling that ADOBE and the like care only about quick money and not about customers, I’d think you work for them and monitor this forum…

From trying before,I know FTC and BBB get you nowhere, unless you want to spend time and money…

What pisses me off is that those guys, like Microsoft, are just thieves who stole the technologies they are marketing…(BTW I have been in the computer business 35 years, before Bill Gates was even born to the computer business, and before ADOBE even knew Bezier curves and raster/bitmap image processing existed …)

Anyway that’s the world we live in!
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 16, 2004
Yves,

I still have the .zip file I downloaded from Adobe with the JPG2000 plugin for PSE2.

If you want it, I’ll mail it to you… it’s only ~270Kb.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 16, 2004
Ray,

If I did not have the feeling that ADOBE and the like care only about quick money and not about customers, I’d think you work for them and monitor this forum…

Ehhh… wrong answer 🙂 I assure you, Bob Hill does. He doesn’t show up here as often as used to, though.

I’m totally outside the graphic business… Although I’ve been in the computer business for, what… 17 years now…

I think I know Adobe enough to be sure they’re not into quick money. Otherwise, they’d have canned Photoshop Album right after version 1.0, based upon the number of "issues" there was with this software. They persisted, and now more users are happy with it than otherwise.

You do know you’re given one free tech support call per licence, right..?

Ray
YL
Yves_Leroux
Jun 16, 2004
Ray,

BTW, your name sounds very French…

You do know you’re given one free tech support call per licence, >right..?

NO I don’t, and they did not bother tell me. They just asked for my credit card number…

How come you "know Adobe enough"?

I was in the image processing side of the computer business for some time CAD/CAM, Publishing, mainframes and graphics workstations, scanners, etc… Early 80’s. Fun stuff. Now I am just an amateur photographer.

Photoshop Album. Yuck! Why would I want Adobe to manage my files, and waste my time clicking?

I have learned one thing: "Customers Love Things That Work". Wonder if Adobe knows about this. Ask them…

Just kidding…

Yves
YL
Yves_Leroux
Jun 16, 2004
Byron,

Actually I was trying to Download New Recipes, not JPG2000, but it looks like it is the same problem. Thanks anyway.

I keep trying, and trying, and trying…Yuck!

Yves
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 17, 2004
Ray,

BTW, your name sounds very French…

So as yours. And I did know an Yves Leroux, once. He used to play softball on Sunday evenings in a park where I was the batboy.

Actually, my name is Martian.. 😉 (kidding)…

I’m from Montreal, Canada.

NO I don’t, and they did not bother tell me. They just asked for my credit card number…

If you acquired your copy of Photoshop Elements in a box (i.e. not bundled with an OEM piece of equipment), and that you’ve registered your copy, your first tech call will be free. And I’m sure that, even if they ask for your credit card number, they will notify you if the call becomes a paying one.

How come you "know Adobe enough"?

I’ve been working with some of their products for several years.

I was in the image processing side of the computer business for some time CAD/CAM, Publishing, mainframes and graphics workstations, scanners, etc… Early 80’s. Fun stuff. Now I am just an amateur photographer.

I’m a computer analyst-programmer, and I’m also responsible for the data warehouse website at work.

Photoshop Album. Yuck! Why would I want Adobe to manage my files, and waste my time clicking?

Because it just works nicely. Download the demo, and try it for yourself. You got like all sorts of ways to manipulate and organize your pictures (collections, tags, comments, etc.) I wouldn’t be so quick as to dismiss it.

However, I’m on a Mac, so I’m using iPhoto… Before you go on and tell me I made a nice sales pitch, let me tell you that I only recently switched and before that, I used Photoshop Album extensively. It did a nice job (version
2.0, that is), for my 8K pictures.

I have learned one thing: "Customers Love Things That Work". Wonder if Adobe knows about this. Ask them…

Ask them yourself my friend. Pick up the phone, use that one free tech support call. Once you get the line, before giving away your credit card number, ask them about their policy of one free tech call… You’ll be explained how it works much better than if I were to do it. That is, because I never used any of my free tech support call. On either platforms.

Just kidding…

I know 😉

Ray
K
kybobb
Jul 19, 2004
RE Zip file from Byron Gale. I would like the zip file. Cannot get the program to download fm Adobe. I do not know how to send you email, so my post send to Thanks kybobb
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 20, 2004
kybobb,

Check your hotmail…

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections