Posted By
Akpan
Jun 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
After the installation of the Photoshop CS3 I have removed the Bonjour service via Unlocker tool, which unblock the target file from other processes(I deleted the mdnsresponder.exe and mdnsNSP.dll). After that I had a great erorr connected with periodical system-reboot (every 20 minutes), if the net-traffic does exist (particularly when playing internet-games).
In the System Event Journal I have a log(I translate from russian version of Windows XP SP2): "Failure loading driver(s) of reboot or startup system: black" After some time I have read the proper instructions of deleting this bonjour service, but it was already too late.
I heard that bonjour leave some errors in Winsock 2, so I tried to repair it using the WinsockxpFix.exe tool.
I have already tried to completely uninstall Phptoshop with all components and reinstall it again, but it was useless.

p.s. Please don’t advice me to reinstall the operation system! Please help asap

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 3, 2007
go to apple and download bonjour. reinstall it. then just disable it via the services applet rather than deleting it.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 3, 2007
FYI, I opened the Firewall Settings in Panda and looked for Bonjour. Now, one might expect not to find it there, since it supposedly doesn’t do anything except facilitate communications between CS3 components.
HA! It is not only configured with internet permissions, it is configured with full permissions, both directions.

I disabled it, but if it comes back, I will uninstall it.

Even Photoshop has only one way communications; I expect that for the help hookup.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 3, 2007
I disabled it, but if it comes back, I will uninstall it.

open control panel, open administrative tools> open services. find it, right click, select properties. change it from automatic (or manual maybe) to Disabled. done and done.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 3, 2007
I’m curious whether Bonjour will override the deleted permissions first.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 3, 2007
from the firewall? if it does it’s time to switch firewalls. meantime it’s taking up memory. disable it.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 4, 2007
I don’t remember the firewall asking permission on behalf of Bonjour. That’s why I am monitoring it.

meantime it’s taking up memory. disable it.

yes, massa!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 4, 2007
Not listed in Services here.

Say, I notice a service called Remote Registry, which allows a remote computer to mess with the Registry. It says Started, Auto.

WTF do I want with this! I set it to manual.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 4, 2007
Not listed in Services here.

iirc, it had a weird name that looked like a registry key, right at the top of the list…
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 4, 2007
Bonjour is the first one listed in Services, by the helpful name of ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##. I kid you not.

As to Remote Registry, mine is set to manual. My computer’s not being administered by an IT department, which is what I suspect this is for.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 4, 2007
Done!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 4, 2007
which is what I suspect this is for.

the name? I think it’s just a screw up adobe made when designing/customizing the service.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jun 4, 2007
Well, it’s listed on both my computers under its real name, but seeing I have the laptop networked to the desktop to use the printers and scanners, and given the description bonjour gives of itself (see screen cap below), I’ve left it going. Am I doing the right thing, or will everything still work through Ps over the network if I disable it?

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=10GNyt0xSSa4fzS29R CGlQPWL9vF80>

I’ve always distrusted programs with silly or suspicious names, and one that literally translates as "good-day" really raises my suspicion antennae.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 4, 2007
Unless you are using Version Cue, disabling Bonjour should have no negative effect on Photoshop. Disabling it will, however, discontinue iTunes’ networked access between your computer and others on your network, if you use iTunes and care.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 4, 2007
Fred, I notice you have Acronis on your machine. Any comments, good or bad? I shudda tried that one instead of HyperOS, which totally crashed my OS, twice!

What versions do you have?
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks, Michael. Consider it disabled.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jun 4, 2007
Having relied on Norton Ghost for backup for years, Acronis in comparison was just too easy. It’s simple, quick, stable, does what its told and doesn’t have any sub-stuff which relate to other programs like Symantec Live Update mandatorily installed. In fact I was able to ( finally ) rid my machines of everything to do with Symantec.

I have had to restore my laptop’s C: drive from image once since I’ve had it, and it worked perfectly.

Recommended.

(I have the Acronis True Image Home edition – it’s all I need).
S
subdude
Jun 4, 2007
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 18:52:07 -0700,
thought it was important to mention:

Bonjour is the first one listed in Services, by the helpful name of ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##. I kid you not.
Yeah, that’s how it shows on mine as well.
SW
Steve_Ward
Jun 6, 2007
And another vote for Acronis TI.

I have Workstation (v9) on my Desktop and Home (v10) on my wife’s laptop. Both work flawlessly.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks.

If anyone ever says "HyperOS" to you, take a deep breath, scream loudly and run like hell! (Unless she’s extraordinarily beautiful!)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections