JM
Posted By
Joseph_Mouhanna
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m scanning images using a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. The images are scanned in TIFF format, in 12 Bits per pixel. When I try to open up an image in Photoshop Elements 2, it tells me that the document is in an unsupported color depth, and asks me if I want to convert to default color depth.

I am new to Photoshop Elements 2 and I have several questions:

1. If I do convert, and then save, I see that the file size has been cut in half (started out with a 37 MB file and I ended up with an 18 MB file). If the color depth was increased from 12 bits to 16 bits, I should end up with a larger file. What’s going on?

2. What is the default color depth?

3. When I select one of the 12 BPP images in Photoshop Elements, it indicates on the left side that the color depth is 16 bits, when I know it’s 12. What’s going on?

4. How do I change the color depth of an image?

Regards,
Joseph

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 29, 2004
Your scanner has 12 bit firmware capability.
Images are either 8 or 16 bit.
So either you must save in 8 bit, where the 12 bits are analyzed and the best 8 bits are used, or save in 16 bit, where all twelve bits are used and the extra 4 are either interpolated or padded with zeros (I forget which).

At any rate, I have a LS2000, but I haven’t used the NikonScan software in sometime (I use VueScan). You must be saving at 16 bit. Elements can’t do 16 bit so opens your file at 8 bit. And yes 16 bit files are exactly twice as big as 8 bit.

8 vs. 16 bit editing is one of the digital imaging jihads. There are entire libraries of info re this if you want to Google, or peruse UseNet archives for comp.periphs.scanners and/or rec.photo.digital. Histograms prove that many editing funcitons in 16 bit are less destructive and all around better.
Human eyeballs prove that it’s a rare image that will matter. For output, monitors can’t see 16 bit, printers can print 16 bit.

At any rate, it is moot for your purposes, as you can’t open 16 bit images with Elements.

Mac
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 29, 2004
Joseph

1) TIFF stores 12 bit as if it were 16 bit causing an excess of waste, in fact at this stage of technology 16 bit TIFF never stores 16 bits and all files are 25% larger than needed. Of course it stores 8 bits as 8 bits.

2) Photoshop colour depth is 8 bit and all filters work only on 8 bit. CS and to a lesser extent Photoshop 7 all support 16 bit but not 100% so.

3) Elements is telling you how the TIFF stores the image. While it is stored at 16 bit there is only 12 bit of useful information but there is still an extra 4 bit of redundancy.

4) You are only limited to 8 bit or less in Elements the procedure is > Image > Mode

As an aside no mater what you will be told no one can tell the difference, visually, between an 12 bit image over a 8 bit. What you do get is a wider latitude to select where your image will lie.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 29, 2004
Mac

The extra 4 bits is padded.

Grant
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 29, 2004
Thanks, Grant…I rather leaned toward that.

M
SS
Susan_S.
May 30, 2004
Where I’ve used 16 bit from my camera (RAW processed using ACR in photoshop CS) then I think that there may be some improvement over 8 bit editing if I for example put on an extreme levels adjustment or curves adjustment to brighten up an underexposed image – it seems to be less posterised (of course fixing the image during RAW processing is better still). But for most things 8 bit editing such as you get using Elements gives identical results to the naked eye and the files take up a lot less room.
JM
Joseph_Mouhanna
May 31, 2004
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know what Photoshop Elements uses as its default bit.

I’ve jsut about given up on Nikon Scan (when I load an APS fil, it has to do an entire preview of the whole roll, before I can change settings). You said that you use another package, do you have a URL for that?

-thx, Joseph
JM
Joseph_Mouhanna
May 31, 2004
I take it that Photoshop CS supports 16 bit color depth? Does it understand RAW format without going through a conversion first?

–thx, Joseph
JM
Joseph_Mouhanna
May 31, 2004
What do you mean by Photoshop CS not supporting 16 bit 100%?
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 31, 2004
VueScan is probably the scanner interface in question.
hamrick.com

M
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 31, 2004
There are still some functions that can’t be performed on 16bit files, only on 8 bit.
Although there are many more available than in PS 7.

M
JM
Joseph_Mouhanna
Jun 1, 2004
Mac,

I downloaded VueScan and tried using it with my LS-2000, but VueScan insists that the scanner was not found.

I downloaded VueScan 8.01 and was trying to see if it works prior to buying it. I have been using Nikon Scan. VueScan seems to recognize the LS-2000 (shows in the Input Tab screen under source), but when I click on scan, I get the message: Scanner not found. I get the same message if I click on Preview.

Nikon Scan recognizes the scanner and can load film and scan it (I exited Nikon Scan prior to starting VueScan)

Windows XP Professional – SP1
VueScan version 8.01
Nikon LS-2000 Scanner
No other SCSI devices are attached
One USB printer/fax/scanner (HP 6100)
USB Mouse/Keyboard (Microsoft)
1394 Camera
1394 Hub
Internal USB-attached 7-in-1 card reader(floppy + CF + others) USB-attached UPS unit

I tried the following:

deleting the VueScan installation and re-installing
disabling Roxio drag to CD feature
powering down the scanner and PC
deleting the VueScan .INI file

Any ideas? have you run into something similar?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 2, 2004
Not sure, Joseph…lots of folks use it with LS-2000 on all versions of Windows. I use it with LS-2000 and 98SE.

Do you UseNet?
comp.periphs.scanners is VueScan unofficial "home". Ed Hamrick himself appears there.

He might respond to an email through his site also for unregistered user.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 2, 2004
Ah, I see you have ALREADY been to comp.periphs.scanners.

Dunno if the ASPI advice is the culprit or not. I didn’t think of that since NikonScan was working with your XP, assumed had to be installed for that to work also.

But it may have installed it’s own earlier version of ASPI, so this might indeed be it. Tried that yet?

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product. jsp?sess=no&l anguage=English+US&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70

or

http://tinyurl.com/3egxt

Is the direct link I have.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections