Posted By
Roger_T._Gauthier
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

I bought last week the English downloadable version of Photoshop CS4. What I need in fact is a copy including both French and English. At the moment, I can buy either the English or the French version. There doesn’t seem to be a way to do that, and it seems to me a bit strange. I need this because I’m a member of French and English forums where I have to know command names in both languages.

What is still more bizarre is the fact that in this English version, Bridge includes in fact at least 15 languages!

Is there a way around this, short of buying another copy, which would really not do?

๐Ÿ™‚

Roger The Photographer

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
If you want 2 languages you need two versions, licenses.

Also I’m not sure you could have both on the same machine.

You should call customer service as this is something only they can help you with.
RT
Roger_T._Gauthier
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks Buko, I shall call them. I am a bit surprised you see, as most (not all…) applications’ UI on OS X will use the language of the OS as determined by the user in Preferencees->International.

In Photoshop, the choice of the language for the UI is fixed in Preferences->Interface->UI Text Options->UI language. Clearly Adobe expects that the user will have a choice. Right now the only choice is English.

As I said, for Bridge that is installed with the same download, apparently "English only", is not English only! You’ve got 23 different languages to choose from, from a slightly different path: Preferencees->Advanced->International->Language: . Right now I’m trying to use Bridge in Chinese…

I love to use all my applications in my own language, which is French. But I must know the command names in English, even if it’s only to be a member of forums about Photoshop.

Look at this:

Adobe Reader: localised
Adobe Media Player: localised
Adobe Bridge: localised
Adobe Device Central: English only
Adobe Drive: Windows in French, menus English only!
Adobe Extension Manager: localised

Job half done, in other words. I hope I can have the French localisation for free.

Cheers,

Roger The Photographer
R
Ram
Nov 3, 2008
Photoshop should be picking up the language cue from Bridge ย—unless this has changed in CS4.
RT
Roger_T._Gauthier
Nov 3, 2008
Sadly, this is not the case here, at least not with the downloadable upgrade to Photoshop CS4. I do not know what one gets if one buys the DVD or whatever.

In Photoshop CS4 as in Bridge CS4, the localisations are deeptly embedded within the applications packages themselves. They are in folders within the applications, and those folders all have the .lproj suffix. Those folders can be found for the different languages both inside Bridge and Photoshop – but in Photoshop’s case, they’re desperately empty.

In other wordds, Photoshop CS4 seems to be built in true OS X spirit – entirely localisable as it should be. But in fact it’s not, even if it could be.

Roger The Photographer
R
Ram
Nov 3, 2008
I could easily be mistaken. Perhaps it’s just the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in that takes its language cue from Bridge, not Photoshop. :/
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Nov 3, 2008
PS CS4 even distinguishes between English-U.S and English-U.K. in terms of the validity of your serial number,and I think that this is related to their pricing framework which is not favorable to foreign users. All the languages are there (if you look in file-get info), if memory serves.
RT
Roger_T._Gauthier
Nov 3, 2008
By Jove, Ralph, you’re giving me here an argument of major proportions. True, all the languages are listed in Finder->File->Get Info. Also true, this is not true, as those languages are not available. And I am ready to bet a beer (small only) that they are not there, unless they would be hidden inside of the package (and there would be no point in hiding them inside a package, right?). All that exists is a skeleton of possible languages, and I mean a lot of empty folders for possible languages.

For those curious, you find those empty folders in places like Adobe Photoshop CS4->Concents->Resources, and they’re called for example fr.lproj (empty). The English.jproj folder is not empty, of course. You can find english.lproj folders about all over the place, with non-empty folders for other languages when Terms of use or things like that are concerned. Those are duly translated.

I shall report when I get news from Adobe, one way or another. What are the options, and how much money it costs, if any. ๐Ÿ˜€

Roger The Photographer
NT
Nini Tj
Nov 3, 2008
Only Bridge and Camera Raw are true multilangued. The rest of the apps are not (at least not the ones in the Design Suite Premium). They are single language according to what you bought and not to what your system has. And you cannot have 2 language versions of same version of application on the same machine.
RT
Roger_T._Gauthier
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks, Nini. Did you have confirmation of this from Adobe?

I sent an email to Adobe Customer Care Service about this. I preferred to write instead of phoning in order to have an official trail on this. It seems that you could well be right if I believe the different sources I wrote to up to now.

If this were indeed to be the case, I must say that I would be rather astounded. My mother tongue is French, I live in a French environment, and I would very much like to use Photoshop in my own language. As I wrote previously though, having a French-only copy of Photoshop can be rather detrimental for someone using many forums, many of which being in English. One then needs to know the English names of each menu and command.

Even the new Help strategy (web only) appears to be in English only. Buying a French-only copy would not be a good idea. I hope that this is not the case.

Roger The Photographer
NT
Nini Tj
Nov 3, 2008
I don’t need confirmation from Adobe as I have the software. I am in Sweden, running English version of CS4 Design Suite Premium. I know it is not multi-languaged. Swedish version is separate coming by beginning of December and does not include an English choice.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections