Posted By
robert_glotzbach
Jan 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hallo all, a simple question.
I’m trying to make up my mind whether to buy the boxed or download version of photoshop CS3 extended.
Could some one please tell me if there is a difference in what you get besides the box? There is quite some difference in price, so I figure, maybe there are some support discs in the box that you don’t get when you download?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Jan 31, 2008
There is quite some difference in price

No there isn’t. If you’re referring to one of those OEM download only sites, they are selling illegal copies of the software.

The only place that you can legally purchase and download Photoshop is directly from Adobe.

Bob
B
Buko
Jan 31, 2008
is a difference in what you get besides the box

Well you get the DVD to install from. When you pay hundreds of dollars for software its nice to have a hard copy.
RG
robert_glotzbach
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks guys for the reply s.
I was not refering to those illegal sites Bob, Adobe has a download option: < https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-U S&nr=1>
Thousand US dollar means aproximately 650 euro for me in the Netherlands, meaning halve the price for me.
I absolutely agree with you Buko, but if a disc is gonna cost me so much money while I can burn a disc myself for one euro; I have to reconsider.

Thanks again.

Kind regards, Robert
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 1, 2008
Robert,

Maybe you’re referring to the Dutch version of PS CS3. That is ridiculously expensive as compared to the English version.

And for the self burned disc, a boxed version has a pressed disc, rather than a burned one, which caters (IMO) for better longevity.

Rob
JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 1, 2008
And the accompanying tutorial DVD is a good resource.
RG
robert_glotzbach
Feb 1, 2008
Hello Rob, No I’m not referring to the Dutch version; I prefer to buy the English version. So John, you’re saying that there is a Tutorial DVD with the Boxed version and not with the boxes one? That’s actually what kept me busy, strange I could not find this info on the Adobe site.

Thanks gentlemen,

Kind regards, Robert
JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 1, 2008
The tutorial DVD contains dozens of videos on the CS3 Suite, 43 of which relate to PS and Bridge.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 1, 2008
and do they include the contents of the "goodies" folder with the download? not sure.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 1, 2008
AFAIK, they do. As for the tutorial videos, I think most of them are Lynda.com samples.

Stroll over to www.indesignsecrets.com and you’ll find a link a for a free week of access. Some very good stuff there.

I think you can get a free month as a registration benefit, too.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 1, 2008
I think that the European prices are quite a bit lower than US. It is that price, not the DL version that is different. Others who have tried to download a US version from the EU have found that it would not work.
JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 1, 2008
I think that the European prices are quite a bit lower than US

Isn’t it the other way round? We pay in £££ what the US residents pay in $$$.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Feb 1, 2008
Regardless of whether the download includes tutorials or not, aren’t the box-bundled tutorials the same as here?…

<http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/>
JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 1, 2008
Yup!
RG
robert_glotzbach
Feb 1, 2008
"Others who have tried to download a US version from the EU have found that it would not work."
Ooo,……. bummer, yes I tried and they would not let me buy since I’m registered as a EU citizen. I don’t get this, what’s the idea behind it?

Kind regards, Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 1, 2008
taxes, i’d wager.
I
ID._Awe
Feb 1, 2008
just money. i think Adobe keeps all the ‘taxes’ they collect.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Feb 2, 2008
VAT is included in the EU prices; so is a big profit margin for the Adobe EU affiliates.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections