Posted By
Lundberg02
Oct 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I presume they are bootable?

I’ve seen a couple from Sonnet and someone else but haven’t found the LaCie yet.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 28, 2008
What computer?

There is an eSATA cable extender for Mac Pros which is a little tricky to install but works exactly as advertised. Read/Write speeds are the same as internal drives. The only downside is that you have to reboot if you have unmounted the drive and wish to remount.

<http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MPQXES2/>
T
troyhark
Oct 28, 2008
An eSata drive is essentially just another internal drive [albeit outside the main case. So you should simply regard them as internals. So you have to remember to turn them on before booting up.

I have an eSata PCI card and 4 big eSata drives all doing nada as the wretched thing refuses to work!!!!!
L
Lundberg02
Oct 28, 2008
Which card, what is your bus speed and computer model, and are they RAID?
T
troyhark
Oct 29, 2008
Mac Pro March 2008 8 core 10.5.5, HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 and in theory yes RAID is possible and if the HDs appear, Disk Utility can RAID things or the card itself can.
Of course it should drive 4 units it’s a 4x eSata PCI card. It seemed to work with my Icybox 4 HDs in one enclosure when I first tried with a couple of HDs. It then refused to work with all 4 HDS in place, plus the enclosure was sooooooo noisy it was dispensed with and 4 individual [and silent]enclosures were then used, but are completely invisible to card.
But then as my MP/OSX is so %*^%*^%ing unreliable with everything else, it’s may well be that at fault. About to do a 4th [or 5th?] reinstall!!
L
Lundberg02
Oct 29, 2008
The card and drives may have to be same manufacturer to be RAID.
T
troyhark
Oct 29, 2008
Sorry, but that’s complete nonsense. That’s not how RAID works. Adaptec and Highpoint, do not even make HDs.
But it’s the fact the drives are not even recognized in first place, that is the main issue with my set up, so RAIDing isn’t even a possibility.

Some more info in regard to your initial post. LaCie just repackage other peoples drives in pretty boxes – same goes for the Monitors. And you can use any SATA HD in an enclosure that has an eSATA port to use as an eSATA drive.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 29, 2008
LaCie says their high capacity drives can’t be RAID without the laCie eSATA card, sorry, you’re wrong.
RAID works however they want it to work, and don’t tell me it’s nonsense. You’re trying to do something you can’t do , and keep a civil tongue in your head , young man. Turn that music down and get off my lawn.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 29, 2008
I would be happy to get off your lawn after I drive my Hummer through your front door.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 30, 2008
I’ve always wanted someone to give me a hummer.
T
troyhark
Oct 30, 2008
As I said above RAID controllers are normally made by companies who do not even make HDs. LaCie, to maximise profits have chipped some of their eSata drive to only work with their eSata card which is probably a rebadged highpoint/adaptec/… card anyway. This is a separate issue to RAIDing.

So I am not trying to do something I cannot do as the card I have is for any non proprietry eSATA drive and I am not using LaCie Drives. I’ve used RAID for 10+ years, so not exactly new territory for me. Just as computer kit not working as descibed is nothing new.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 31, 2008
Bus speed and bit width
T
troyhark
Oct 31, 2008
!? Are we posting random sentences now?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections