RG
Posted By
Rodney_Gaines
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All I’ve seen suggests that one should not use a "removalable" hard drive as a scratch disk. How about a usb connected external hard drive?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 6, 2004
No. Only local harddrives should be used for scratch disks.

Bob
RG
Rodney_Gaines
Apr 6, 2004
I’m using a laptop with only the C drive. Do I just ignore the scratch disk issue?
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 6, 2004
Yes.

Bob
RG
Rodney_Gaines
Apr 6, 2004
Thanks for your quick response.

Rod
RM
Rick_Maloch
Apr 6, 2004
I have a ‘removable’ second hard drive in my laptop. It’s partitioned for 10 Gigs at the front of the drive and is dedicated to the scratch disk. It has worked flawlessly.

Rick
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Apr 6, 2004
I also have used external with no problems. PS doesn’t like "Removable" HD, but an external is not the same. If your OS recognizes the external as not removable, so will PS.

At least that’s how I found it to be so on W2K. I also was warned about not using externals, and more than once I forgot to turn it on, but PS reverted to C drive and ran just fine. So, I don’t understand the warnings as a blanket "no".
W
wes
Apr 6, 2004
Same here Rick. I have had a firewire external drive used for the scratch disk every since I have had PSCS. It is empty except for being used as a scratch disk. It works flawlessly except when it is lost by the computer. This has happened only once to me.

wrote in message
I have a ‘removable’ second hard drive in my laptop. It’s partitioned for
10 Gigs at the front of the drive and is dedicated to the scratch disk. It has worked flawlessly.
Rick
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 7, 2004
External and removeable are not same beasts.

An external HD, assuming something fast enough (Firewire, USB2, SCSI), can work fine.

Mac
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Apr 7, 2004
Didn’t I just say that? 😉

How ya doin’ Mac?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 7, 2004
Didn’t I just say that? 😉

Must’ve been an echo..

How ya doin’ Mac?

Fair to partly cloudy, I reckon.
Good to see you around too, didn’t even notice when I posted..

M

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections