A
Posted By
adykes
Dec 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My photoshop machine (w2k) has several disks, and a USB adapter for my CF cards. The USB adapter shows up as a drive letter even if there is no CF card in it. I have always given utility or dedicated-purpose disks letters starting from Z and working down.

The USB disk is F:

When I start PS CS without a CF card, PS complains mightily about not finding a file system on the drive letter. I can click on continue about 20 times to get passed it. Cancel and Ignore have no effect.

Is there any way to get PS to bot browse this letter unless I ask it to, or any other suggestion.

I assume w2k disk manager would let me assign the USB device to another drive letter, but since Z is taken, I have nowhere to go. Resetting wverything that currently uses Z would be a PITA.

(Windows OS not being able to handle a non-existant disk has been a problem since Win 3.1 and I’m sure there is no cure in Windows. It is better, it used to force a Three Finger Salute. This question is about how to make PS handle the situation more gracefully.) —
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
—-

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EG
Eric Gill
Dec 15, 2004
:

When I start PS CS without a CF card, PS complains mightily about not finding a file system on the drive letter. I can click on continue about 20 times to get passed it. Cancel and Ignore have no effect.

You weren’t using the File Browser to look at a CF card sometime recently, were you?

If so, you can trash the PS prefs and this should dissappear. It will, of course, blow away things like custom brushes and color settings, so exercise care.

Is there any way to get PS to bot browse this letter unless I ask it to, or any other suggestion.

I assume w2k disk manager would let me assign the USB device to another drive letter, but since Z is taken, I have nowhere to go.

You have from D-Y completely filled?

Resetting wverything that currently uses Z would be a PITA.
(Windows OS not being able to handle a non-existant disk has been a problem since Win 3.1 and I’m sure there is no cure in Windows.

Then again, XP handles such problems, and removeable media, a lot more gracefully than it’s predecessors.
FN
Fi Nishing
Dec 15, 2004
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

You must have browsed the card at some time with PS, and now it thinks it’s a member of its family, as it were.
The easiest solution is to keep a CF card in the reader. You must have an old one, everybody does!
Fi.
N
noone
Dec 15, 2004
In article ,
com says…
:

You weren’t using the File Browser to look at a CF card sometime recently, were you?

If so, you can trash the PS prefs and this should dissappear. It will, of course, blow away things like custom brushes and color settings, so exercise care.

Would it not be better, in this case, to insert a CF card in the reader, let Browser look at it, images or not, then point the Browser to another disk, remembering to always do this, when browsing a CF card?

[SNIP good ideas and observations]

Just thinking,
Hunt
N
noone
Dec 15, 2004
In article , says…
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

You must have browsed the card at some time with PS, and now it thinks it’s a member of its family, as it were.
The easiest solution is to keep a CF card in the reader. You must have an old one, everybody does!
Fi.

Sorry, I had not gotten this article, when I responded with about the same solution.

Hunt
EG
Eric Gill
Dec 15, 2004
:

In article ,
com says…
(Al Dykes) wrote in
news:cppl83$2vg$:

Would it not be better, in this case, to insert a CF card in the reader, let Browser look at it, images or not, then point the Browser to another disk, remembering to always do this, when browsing a CF card?

I’m of the school of "never work from removeable media." Copy to hard drive, then browse. This saves yourself a lot of headache – case in point – and generally works out to be faster.

Now while my attitude is partly a legacy of those damned Syquest and Zip units, even the vastly improved modern removeable drives are still light years behind fixed hard drives in terms of reliability, convenience and speed.
H
Hecate
Dec 16, 2004
On 15 Dec 2004 10:29:07 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

My photoshop machine (w2k) has several disks, and a USB adapter for my CF cards. The USB adapter shows up as a drive letter even if there is no CF card in it. I have always given utility or dedicated-purpose disks letters starting from Z and working down.

The USB disk is F:

I assume w2k disk manager would let me assign the USB device to another drive letter, but since Z is taken, I have nowhere to go. Resetting wverything that currently uses Z would be a PITA.
(Windows OS not being able to handle a non-existant disk has been a problem since Win 3.1 and I’m sure there is no cure in Windows. It is better, it used to force a Three Finger Salute. This question is about how to make PS handle the situation more gracefully.)

Apart from all the other advice, this is a fairly common problem usually associated with Windows "losing" the drive unless it’s permanently attached. As you have it permanently attached, and this still sometimes causes problems you may like to try this as a fix: set the drive letter to B. That usually works.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
G
Gadgets
Dec 17, 2004
Why does PS even look at that on startup? In your prefs is it set as a scratch disk?!?? I have a multi-card reader which shows up as 3 drives, but has never caused any probs being empty…

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
PC-Video-Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections