EO
Posted By
Eileen_O_Hanley
Oct 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We recently upgraded from Creative Suite 1 to Creative Suite 3 (with Mac OS 10.5.4). I am trying to open a tif file that was saved out of Photoshop CS1, and it keeps launching the Camera Raw plugin window instead. I’ve tried saving as an EPS, then opening the EPS and re-saving as a tif. Doesn’t help. I don’t want to process this tif through Camera Raw each time it’s opened!

Other images from the same photoshoot and saved in the same manner are fine (the tifs open in Photoshop as they should).

Is this a feature or a bug?

Thank you

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Oct 27, 2008
its a feature.

there is a preference to turn this off.
EO
Eileen_O_Hanley
Oct 27, 2008
So why is it happening with only 1 out of 8 tifs from a single campaign that were all treated in the same manner (digital shots that were opened through Camera Raw plugin, manipulated in Photoshop and a layered PSD file saved, then flattened tif files generated)? The other 7 flattened tifs open directly into Photoshop without launching Camera Raw plugin.

And I can’t find a preference that affects it. If it is "Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for supported raw files", I have it unchecked.

Any other suggestions?
B
Buko
Oct 27, 2008
just click open image without making any adjustments in ACR.

Stop saving tifs and just use PSDs.
OO
Omke_Oudeman
Oct 28, 2008
There are three locations for the preferences
1 in PS prefs itself
2 in Bridge pref for Camera Raw
3 in Bridge pref itself.

You might consider to first restart Bridge holding down option key to reset the prefs to default and then reset to your wishes.

And you also might consider an upgrade to OSX 10.5.5, there are a lot of issues fixed in this upgrade 🙂
PT
Paul_Tait
Oct 30, 2008
For future reference, you could always download RCDefaultApp, which enables you to set default applications for every type of file suffix (i.e. with one click of your mouse, any file that ends .tif or .tiff will automatically open in PhotoShop (or Camera Raw if you prefer).

It’s one of those great little pieces of free software that I wouldn’t be without.

<http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp>
EO
Eileen_O_Hanley
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks for the responses, but none of them have addressed the issue that just one tif file is giving me grief, while the multitude of other tifs I have saved and reopened come up in Photoshop as normal.

Any suggestions/insights that address the actual problem would be appreciated.
B
Buko
Oct 30, 2008
For just one tif you are wasting your time trying to figure it out. It seems that you would have better things to do with your time. chalk it up to something is goofy with this file and hit open when ACR pops up.

if you want to waste more time rebuild the file by duplicating the layers to a new file and see if that clears it up.
EO
Eileen_O_Hanley
Oct 30, 2008
Excellent suggestion, Buko! I flattened the PSD file, duplicated the layer to a new file and saved out a tif that works. Thank you. Now I can send it to the client without worrying…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections