Dick_Shane
Oct 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS3

Hi,

I have a psd file which is in multichannel mode, with two channels – black and a pantone spot colour.

What’s the best way to go about converting this to CMYK – if possible?

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AR
alan_ruta
Oct 15, 2008
I have a method that seems very archaic but its the only one I know.

Add three blank channels (for cmy), move the gray channel to the black and then convert to cmyk. Then I take the spot channel and paste it to cmyk and do a channel mix to convert that layer to the proper process match equivalent.

alan
DS
Dick_Shane
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks, Alan – that’s pretty close to what I ended up doing. I pasted the two layers into a new empty CMYK document, then merged them with the Merge Spot Colour command.

Just never sure if there’s a ‘Multichannel to CMYK’ button lurking somewhere!
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 15, 2008
I was kinda hoping someone would have chimed and and said just do "command-this", but alas no luck.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
OK.

just do "command-this"

Neil

(Sorry about that — but if I didn’t respond, someone else would’ve.) 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 15, 2008
Multichannel to Grayscale to CMYK then merge spot.

Make sure you have the black channel selected before you go from Multichannel to Grayscale due to a bug that will throw out the spot channel. The whole thing is retarded and will never be fixed.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 15, 2008
Merge spot–it was so simple all along. Dopeslap to me for not reading the manual.

thanks
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah, thanks Mike.
DS
Dick_Shane
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks Mike.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 16, 2008
Everyone is welcome. It’s too bad the application is such Swiss cheese.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 16, 2008
I assume there just isn’t enough call for it. If there had been a way to make spot channels work like cmyk (e.g. knockout as a preference rather than overprint), when I was doing magazine covers with the logo in a spot color it would have been a great time saver.

However the past couple of years I’ve done 99.9 percent 4c only, probrably like 99.9 percent of the user out there.

alan
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 16, 2008
Sloppy is as sloppy does and is a reflection of sloppy coding.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections