Posted By
Jase_Watson
Sep 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’ve flicked through forums, google, and called my top graphics people but nobody can seem to help, or has ever even heard of, my issue.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Some GIFs and JPGs appear with a yellow "wash" when being loaded in Safari. I can confirm this is happening on 3 different Macs, and even on a PC running Safari.

Safari 3.1.1 on Windows XP
Safari 3.1.2 on Mac OSX 10.5.5

Here’s some examples of it occurring:
<http://staging.tomatosource.com.au/test/bad.jpg>
<http://staging.tomatosource.com.au/test/bad.gif>

You might need to refresh the page in Safari a couple of times to see the flicker but it’s there.

I’ve tried:
– resaving images with and without "progressive" and "interlaced" – a variety of different colour palettes
– taking a screenshot of the image, putting back into Photoshop and resaving

Has anybody seen this issue before? Unfortunately I can’t go live with this site until I fix this very strange error.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jase.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
Lundberg02
Sep 17, 2008
What is it that’s supposed to be seen? One image is some text on a light background, and the other is a washed out drawing of hands and keyboard etc.

What flicker?
JW
Jase_Watson
Sep 17, 2008
I’m getting a yellow flicker/wash as the image loads, once loaded it is fine. You might need to keep hitting your refresh button in Safari to see it, but the yellow is certainly not meant to be part of the image.

You’ll need Safari 3 on Mac or PC to see it.

I actually think through some further work I may have sorted it – tried using Perceptual instead of Adaptive filter for GIF image.

Also tried resaving JPEG and seems okay now, this issue is sooo sketchy, but perhaps I’m close to solving it…watch this space
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2008
Totally independently from your current problem, Safari is Dump it.

All Apple applications, from the Finder through Preview and iPhoto to Safari, assign Monitor RGB to ALL untagged images, even if they were created or saved in sRGB.

The only current properly color-managed web browser is Firefox 3.0.1. Just keep in mind that you have to enable color management deep inside the guts of Firefox.

See this existing thread in the Adobe Photography forum:

Ramón G Castañeda, "Beware of using Adobe Web Galleries" #49, 14 Sep 2008 4:52 pm </webx?14/49>
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2008
Duplicate post deleted by poster.
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2008
Your posted links bring up an error message:

Note: Flagfox has determined that this webserver is in United States, however the address ends in ".au" (Australia). Flagfox locates servers using their IP addresses via an internal database and does not rely on TLD codes such as this. Servers need not be located in the origin nation of the site and thus this is not likely to be an error.

But the images themselves are unremarkable.
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2008
It sounds like your monitor profile is hosed. You need to calibrate and profile your monitor.
JW
Jase_Watson
Sep 17, 2008
Thans, will also give that a go, but is happening on 3 different macs and 1 PC.
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2008
L
Lundberg02
Sep 18, 2008
Talk about problems that no one else has………………
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 18, 2008
Jase,

I’ve flicked through forums, google, and called my top graphics people but nobody can seem to help, or has ever even heard of, my issue.

Add me to the list — Safari 3.x, Mac OS X 10.4.11, ADSL connection. No flicker. Nothing. Nada. Instant refresh.

If you had progressive builds of your images as they were loading, and if you were viewing them on a slow Internet connection, maybe there would be something to see.

Neil
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2008
I think Safari is fine.
JW
Jase_Watson
Sep 18, 2008
Hi,
looks like I’ve resolved it using Perceptive palette in PS on Mac. Obviously I’m not really a graphics dude and my designer is on leave but looks like it’s sorted.

Thanks all of you for your input!

Jase.
R
Ram
Sep 18, 2008
No, it’s not Buko.

Like all Apple applications, it’s throwing Monitor RGB at all untagged images, including all images driven by Flash.

It’s an Apple defect apparent in all Apple applications, from the Finder through Preview and iPhoto to Safari in both platforms.
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2008
Like all Apple applications, it’s throwing Monitor RGB at all untagged images

So what! Until everything on the web is colormanaged and everyone has a calibrated monitor the point is moot.
GB
g_ballard
Sep 18, 2008
I like safari too but am profiled to 2.2 gamma but applying the Monitor RGB to untagged RGB especially on the internet when Apple default is 1.8 gamma is beyond my reasoning abilities
R
Ram
Sep 18, 2008
Buko,

So this:

If you have one of the new wide gamut monitors, Safari is throwing that wide gamut monitor profile at all untagged files. The images literally look like they are on fire!

The point is NOT moot. It may have been when the widest gamut monitor profiles did not deviate that much from sRGB.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2008
Buko:

You may not have seen it, but there is a thread on this subject in the Photography Forum which you should probably read:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b670cc/>

But help apparently IS on the way — John Nack has just posted a message on his Blog indicating that Adobe are actively working to fix the Flash part of the problem.

Until Apple fix their part of the problem, it would be wise to make sure that ALL images that are posted on the Web contain an embedded sRGB Profile.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections