JPEGs created by PS CS3 on Mac cannot be opened by PC users – why??

GD
Posted By
Graham Dunn
Sep 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I have just moved to a Mac (iMac, with Leopard) and have LR2 & PS CS3. When saving TIFF files as JPEGs using PS they appear to be saved as ‘Photoshop JPEGs’ and can’t be opened by PC users. If I save from LR they are ‘JPEGs’ and can be opened by all.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening & any advice. Thanks
Graham

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CB
charles badland
Sep 10, 2008
Is the extension (.jpg) included in the file name?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 10, 2008
Are you sending the files to PC users by way of email from Entourage?

Are they in RGB or CMYK mode?
GD
Graham Dunn
Sep 10, 2008
Hi

Thank you for your replies. To answer your queries:

The extension (.jpg) is included in the file name.
I am sending the files to PC users with AOL e-mail and they are in sRGB.

Thanks again

Graham
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2008
ZIP-compress images before attaching/sending.

Oh, and kick AOL to the curb already. It isn’t 1997 any more!

😉 XD
CB
charles badland
Sep 10, 2008
Try sending them zipped.
In Finder, single click on Folder or document, then go File>Create Archive of…
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 10, 2008
kick AOL to the curb

Here, here. (and there too)

You may do well to switch to using your Mac’s own Mail program as it integrates well with the rest of OSX. AOL has quirks that have often caused issues. [example <http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/archive/t-5198.html>]

If sending with the default options for Apple’s Mail program (which includes sending ‘windows-friendly’ attachments), you will not need to zip your JPG images before sending.
GD
Graham Dunn
Sep 11, 2008
Above all noted, thanks everyone.
I’ll give it all a try….

Graham
RG
Rene_Garneau
Sep 11, 2008
Are you saving them using "Save for Web and Devices"?

I had a similar problem a few months ago; if I used "Save for Web…" the PC end user was not able to open them, but using "Save As" instead, she was able to open them.

The person receiving my JPEG finally updated the application she was using to view the jpeg (don’t remember the name of that app) and everything has been fine since.
P
Phosphor
Sep 11, 2008
What apps don’t open JPEGs, that should?

I can crank out SFW JPEGs from PS CS2 all day long that will open in some of the oldest and outdated apps I can find.

Of course, I’m using Macs, so that may have something to do with it.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Sep 11, 2008
I can crank out SFW JPEGs from PS CS2 all day long that will open in some of the oldest and outdated apps I can find.

The problem is happening with CS3
P
Phosphor
Sep 11, 2008
"The problem is happening with CS3 "

Well that’s kind of a ridiculous change from PS CS2 now, innit, no matter how it happened?

8/
RG
Rene_Garneau
Sep 11, 2008
Yeah.

I’ve seen about 2 or 3 different posts, in this Forum, in the last few months about the same or very similar problem; I did a search, but I can find any of them. All happened with CS3. But it doesn’t seem that everybody has this problem.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 11, 2008
The other posts in this forum had to do with a bug in the combination of Entourage on Mac and Outlook on Windows. It was a bungle which was started with one automatic update and should now be resolved through another automatic update on Windows computers. Unless you use a program that mangles MIME attachments (AOL, Entourage) there is little concern here for Mac users.
GD
Graham Dunn
Sep 12, 2008
Hi

thanks for all of your replies.
Sending a zipped jpeg did work but the best result has come from accessing my AOL account through Mac’s ‘Mail’ and having the ‘send windows friendly files’ box ticked.

Will seriously consider ditching AOL as well…..
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 12, 2008
Unless you absolutely, positively need all the friends ‘n’ family ‘n’ stuff specifically provided by AOL, there are better email and Web access solutions. For many, Apple Mail and Safari and/or Firefox are just fine.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections