Opening Mac projects on PC (missing fonts)

S
Posted By
Smurfy
Dec 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On our Mac workstations, InDesign projects are stored with all relative image files (including PSDs) as well as fonts used for each project.

Copying all of the above to a PC workstation and opening the .indd file yields, of course, missing font problems (it won’t even preview the missing font shape – it’ll flat out substitute it with another). I’m assuming the behavior will be the same in Illustrator and Photoshop.

So the natural question is… is there a way to convert the Mac fonts to PC fonts? I don’t even mind if it’s just a "virtual" conversion/install, that’ll last only as long as the file is open (that would be great actually). There’s got to be SOME advantage to having the Mac font itself bundled with the project, doesn’t there?

Or am I stuck having to hunt down the PC versions of these fonts on the web on an individual basis? What are my options here?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BR
Bream Rockmetteller
Dec 15, 2008
On 2008-12-15 11:16:02 -0800, "Evan Deez" said:

On our Mac workstations, InDesign projects are stored with all relative image files (including PSDs) as well as fonts used for each project.
Copying all of the above to a PC workstation and opening the .indd file yields, of course, missing font problems (it won’t even preview the missing font shape – it’ll flat out substitute it with another). I’m assuming the behavior will be the same in Illustrator and Photoshop.

So the natural question is… is there a way to convert the Mac fonts to PC fonts? I don’t even mind if it’s just a "virtual" conversion/install, that’ll last only as long as the file is open (that would be great actually). There’s got to be SOME advantage to having the Mac font itself bundled with the project, doesn’t there?

Or am I stuck having to hunt down the PC versions of these fonts on the web on an individual basis? What are my options here?

Thanks.

If they’re OpenType or Postscript, you should be able to install them on your Mac or PC indescriminantly (of course I’m not right about these things all that often…).

I had installed a set of PS fonts on my PC and their OT equivalents on my Mac. The font substitution is tedious but easy with InDesign. Photoshop, on the other hand seems unusually dumb about it. Unlike InDesign, Photoshop will display a preview of the missing font and warn you that it’s missing. If you try to select the text, Photoshop simply replaces the fonts with a lame default. I haven’t done too much looking, but it seems that Photoshop doesn’t have the same level of font replacement sophistication that InDesign does. I haven’t tried it with Illustrator, but I’d bet it’s as lame as Photoshop. —
Bream Rockmetteler
Donaldson’s Dog Joy
509-540-0301
S
Smurfy
Dec 16, 2008
"Bream Rockmetteller" wrote in message
If they’re OpenType or Postscript, you should be able to install them on your Mac or PC indescriminantly (of course I’m not right about these things all that often…).

I had installed a set of PS fonts on my PC and their OT equivalents on my Mac. The font substitution is tedious but easy with InDesign. Photoshop, on the other hand seems unusually dumb about it.

How do you install a Mac font on a PC — or even tell what type of font it is — when the files don’t even have extensions? :-S

(As you can tell, I’m a PC man, and don’t understand Mac convention just yet.)

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections