Posted By
Phibbus
Sep 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Daniel,

Stumbled on your post while searching on a similar issue. I’m not sure if I precisely understand yuour problem, but here’s my experience when dealing with TIFFs and JPEGs embedded as Smart Objects in CS3…

If the Smart Object layer contains a TIFF or JPEG that has already been edited and saved in Camera Raw (i.e., the embedded file has Camera Raw XMP metadata in its header), then Photoshop will open the Smart Object’s contents in Camera Raw… with one provision. You have to make sure that in your Camera Raw preferences, under "JPEG and TIFF Handling", that both boxes are checked for "Always open JPEG/TIFF files with settings using Camera Raw".

If those boxes aren’t checked, when you try to edit the contents of a Smart Object layer containing a TIFF or JPEG with Camera Raw settings in its header, instead of opening the embedded file for editing, Photoshop seems to simply revert to displaying the layer without the settings applied. I’m unsure whether this is a bug or intended behavior, but it seems to be one of the symptoms you describe.

On the other hand, if you make a Smart Object layer from a JPEG or TIFF that does not already have Camera Raw settings in its header, Photoshop CS3 will never open that layer’s contents in Camera Raw, regardless of what preferences you have checked. Instead, the contents are opened in a separate window as a temporary .psb file. The only way I’ve found to do Camera Raw editing in these cases is to export the layer, edit the exported file in Raw, and then re-import it via Replace Contents.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections