Posted By
hanford_lemoore
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m using Smart Objects in CS2 and one of my smart objects has mysteriously stopped anti-alising when I shrink it. It looks horrible. Other smart layers in the same document seem to look fine when I shrink them.

I have edited the object, I have copied the object, I have tried everything, and this one smart object just doesn’t want to anti-alias. Am I missing an option somewhere?

I had to group the contents of the original smart oject into a group then move it into another smart object to get it to anti-alias the scaled instances.

Any clues anyone?

~Hanford

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HL
hanford_lemoore
May 24, 2005
update: re-opened the file and this is still happening with the same smart object. Am I missing an option?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 24, 2005
What kind of file did you place?

What kind of interpolation do you have set in preferences?
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 24, 2005
Does this smart object have live text in it? That’s the only time I’ve ran across a smart object that refused to anti-alias correctly. (Especially if I’m enlarging the text.)
HL
hanford_lemoore
May 24, 2005
The smart object was just a normal raster layer that I turned into an Smart Object.

I then edited it and added a color layer, and a few others. It might have had editable text in it at one time but not now. (I did notice the same problem with a smart object of a live text layer in the same document that I’ve since gotten rid of)

My preferences are set to Bicubic.

Again, other smart objects (including a smart object that is now has the EXACT same as the original) are scaling smoothly.

Thanks,

Hanford
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 24, 2005
This might be a dumb question, but are you zoomed in at 100%?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2005
Raster Smart Objects use the free transform code to scale (and rotate, etc.).

I don’t see how one could misbehave while others work.

Have you tried opening the contents and seeing what’s inside?
HL
hanford_lemoore
May 26, 2005
Hi Chris,

Yes, I’ve opened both the aliasing one and the anti-aliasing ones, and they both have the same contents. In fact, the working object was created by dragging layers out of the broken one.

I have the file and can send it to you if you’re interested in seeing it.

~Hanford
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2005
Yes, I’m really curious to see how this could happen.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 2, 2005
I tracked it down to something related to the warp options – somehow CS2 thinks there is still a warp on the smart object.

Enabling the warp and setting it to "none", then going back to free transform mode cleared up the problem for this image.

I’ve got someone looking into how it happened.
HL
hanford_lemoore
Jun 3, 2005
I can recreate it:

1. on a new layer, create a small (say 100 x 100 pixel) image.

2. Make that layer a smart object.

3. Edit the Smart Object.

4. Use Canvas Size to resize it to something like 1024 x 768

5. paste or draw artwork that fills the 1024 x 768 space. In my case, I pasted a rendered 3d image that is exactly 1024 x 768 into this new canvas.

6. close and save the new smart object.

The resulting smart object instance will still be 100 x 100, but NOT anti aliased (looks like it’s using NN). Sizing it large and small still won’t anti-alias it correctly.

I believe the Canvas Size change on the smart object is the culprit.

Hope this helps.

~Hanford.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections