Posted By
JWeber
Aug 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Aug 11, 2008
I would not bother with a clipping path myself just place the image without the background directly into ID.
J
JWeber
Aug 11, 2008
I know what you’re saying, but I might not have the option. They seem intent on having paths. Plus I don’t know for sure if they are using ID.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Aug 11, 2008
If they intend to use Clipping Paths then You better don’t delete the rest of the image. The fringe-pixels in a flattened image will of course be affected by a deletion as the path almost necessarily encloses some pixels only partially.
And the effect might even become worse in a pdf of the layout depending on the downsampling.
P
Phosphor
Aug 11, 2008
Cheat! Make a selection out of the Path and expand it by a pixel. Inverse and Delete. Then import it with the Clipping Path. Any better?
J
JWeber
Aug 11, 2008
Ed, I think that might just work. Since I went in on the image slightly more on my clipping path from what I would usually do for just PS outlining, the added pixel doesn’t really affect the look.

-I select the clipping path, inverse and delete the background with a mask -then select the path again and expand 1 pixel
-then go into the mask and paint the pixel back in between the layer and the path

That seems to be just enough to get rid of the fringing. I’m going to experiment some more but thanks!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 11, 2008
Don’t listen to Buko.

: )

Use paths, but just get into it and make them do what you want.

You have two choices to get rid of the white fringe, the first I use first and most exclusively, but the second is a requirement in some instances and it’s all up to your discretion and good judgement as a skilled artist.

1. Always cut into your object by 1/2 pixel while you are making your path. That way, no white or background will show.

2. For instances where background is so ‘hot’ that it ‘reflects’ or ‘shows’ where it shouldn’t, thereby destroying some of the edge of the product or subject, you need to create some additional edge using the clone tool or sample of the images color at the edge, THEN, continue to build your path with the #1 rule still in mind.

Work with it, you’ll find that paths are indispensable for some projects and you’ll use them with confidence and at the correct times to get superior results.

Ken
J
JWeber
Aug 11, 2008
Ken

I always go "in’ when making a clipping path and that normally works just fine. It’s the addition of removing the background that is causing the fringing. There’s enough of the image on the outside of the path not to cause an issue but as soon as the background is gone and up to the path, fringing starts. It’s weird that you get the white fringing on what would be the inside of the path. There’s no white in the image. Is it just the anti-aliasing of the path that causes this kind of fringe?

John
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 11, 2008
Okay, thanks for the more information. I would say you have settings that are conflicting with your desires. A path, turned into a selection, select inverse and hit delete to delete the background – should yield a ‘cut’ at the path which will indiscriminately drop off the outside pixels and ‘cut in’ under the path approximately 1/2 pixel. Anti-aliasing is good and what you want, but is responsible for the undercutting effect. You need to examine that you have no feathering turned on when the selection is made, that would account for the white you are seeing if it is regular and consistent all around the image. If the undercutting (white show-through) is not consistent, but only occurs in some areas, then it is simply not having the path ‘cutting into’ the image area you want to keep enough. Be bold, cut into the image a full pixel. If you can’t do that to your product (most times it is no problem) then you need to physically ‘build’ the product outward, again by using method number 2 above.

Remember, you are in control of what results you get from using a path as either a clipping or for a selection.

Ken
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 11, 2008
Also, you say "white" fringing? First duplicate your background so it is on a layer, then delete the background. Your image is effectively then on a layer and what you delete will be transparent and not ‘white.’

I hate to suggest you send me the image with path and nothing done to it yet as far as removing the background. Then I could see what you are doing.
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 11, 2008
You can use the minimum filter (other… minimum) to "build out" the path bleed, should you want to prioritize the path clipping instead of the raster cutout clipping.
B
Buko
Aug 12, 2008
Why add pixels back in?

use the path to make a selection then expand it by a pixel or two.

now inverse and delete.

how are you saving these files?
J
JWeber
Aug 12, 2008
I think the anti aliasing as you describe Ken is what is happening. Note that when I say delete background I’m on a layer and deleting using a mask (And there is no feathering on the path when I delete the background ). If I just use the clipping path without deleting the background there is no fringing which confirms my path is far enough in. In fact I could put the path 20 pixels in and still get the fringing due to the anti aliasing of the 0 pixel clipping path as it interacts with the white background when the background is deleted.

Using the method Ed described above works very well. This seems to be a great way to get rid of this fringing when a background is dropped and a clipping path has to be used.

The files are turned into a convoluted duotone turned into a multi-channel file for a double black hit, channels swapped, then converted to CMYK. Then saved as TIFF.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 12, 2008
Gee, there are so many unknowns with this, I mean, new information keeps coming out of the woodwork at each post. It sounds like you are getting a handle on it, but overall, I question the initial concept, how it is being achieved and what results you are after. Is this job patterned after something that has been done previously? Are there examples of what you want the final outcome to look like? Are the results going to be published in a variety of media?

So many questions, so little information.

My opinion is, that I would want to walk back to the starting point and examine the reasoning and thrust of the original concepts over this project. Are there other, easier ways to achieve? and other questions like that are one’s that I would want to ask, just to be sure I knew why I was doing things the way I was doing them and if all approaches were best under the circumstances.

Sounds like you have plenty of challenge with this project.
M
mkhasan147
Aug 14, 2008
I am agree with Ken Nielsen and i want to add some thing.

"Save your paths as clipping path from path palette and save the image in eps or tif format. No placing will be required then."

Background will be automatically removed.

How ever making path using pentool is a little tough and time consuming. If you have bulk images you can take help from clipping path service <http://www.clippingpath.in> providers anyway.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections