S
Posted By
sebpeters
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I create a clipping path in Photoshop then bring it into Illustrator, the path is not as accurate as the one i crreated in Photoshop. How can I fix this? Or is this an Adobe error?
Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 29, 2004
Why do you need a clipping path?

just bring in your picture with the backgroud removed.

Illustrator supports photoshops transparency.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Feb 29, 2004
So does Freehand MX if anyone needs to know.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 29, 2004
For FreeHand to support it, you MUST save with Maximize Compatibility.
S
sebpeters
Feb 29, 2004
If I copy an image in Photoshop then paste it into illustrator, it brings in a white background. Do I have to adjust any settings?
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 29, 2004
Place you image, don’t copy and paste it and see what happens.
S
sebpeters
Feb 29, 2004
Great! That worked. But any ideas as to why the paths are not accurate if you choose to use paths?
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 1, 2004
Oh! You mean you’re wanting to bring JUST the path drawn in PS into AI? Not the image that’s clipped by it?
S
sebpeters
Mar 1, 2004
I have an image of a sleeping bag but I need only the sleeping bag, not the rest of the background. I need to bring the sleeping bag into AI and and InDesign. I figured out how to avoid using the clipping path for AI but not for InDesign. When I try to bring it into InDesign from the clipping path, it is not accurate meaning there still are some small white spaces around the image. any way i can fix this?
thanks!
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
You don’t need a clipping path with InDesign either.

Forget how you had to do it in Quark.

You are now in the 21st century using uptodate software.
P
PShock
Mar 1, 2004
Well, support for transparency doesn’t necessarily negate the need for paths – they’re still the best way to make selections for many things.

sebpeters –
Is the path "accurate" in Photoshop? After you turn the path into a selection, jump the item to a new layer and fill the layer under it with a color that’s close to what you’re using in InDesign. My guess is your path isn’t as accurate as you think it is.

-phil
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
support for transparency doesn’t necessarily negate the need for paths

it does if the path is being used to clip out the background
P
PShock
Mar 1, 2004
Buko –
You forgot to quote the rest …

"they’re still the best way to make selections for many things."

In other words, you’re not using the path to make a clipping path – just a selection.

-phil
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
True, but I understand the question to be using the Path to to make a clipping to remove the background. So a clipping path is not nessasary for this when placing the image in ID or AI. Unlike Quark or Pagemaker.

Thats the point I was trying to get accross.

I use paths just not for clipping images.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
PShock has a point. Also, a path does not exclude color, white or whatever your background in the photo is, to one side of the path but is a ‘median’ line which means that some pixels that are at the edge may be included if they slip under the path and are detected as white or a gradation of the color between the product edge and white. I cut my paths well enough into the product to make sure that there is no chance of the background color ‘seeping’ in. Also, after you make your path, as I mentioned here, DO NOT then make a selection using the path and then delete the bacground to white! This, because the path is only a median line, makes white come back to haunt you by letting some of the edge pixels inside of the path gradate to white.

Work in 1600x magnification or higher to see how this works.
JS
John_Slate
Mar 1, 2004
….however if you actually prefer the hard-edged vector-based silouette one gets from using a clipping path, as opposed to the more natural, anti-aliased fade to transparency…

Clipping paths are the only way to reproduce the look of the the old rubylith masks, and we all know how important that is <g>

Placing this argument aside, there should not be a problem embedding a clipped image, vis-a-vis the integrity of the path.

I think, as PShock suggested, sebpeters needs to take a closer look at the path in Photoshop.

Some subscribe to exporting the path to Illy, then placing the unmasked image, positioning the path, and turning it into a clipping mask, but this should really not be neccesary should it?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
"Clipping paths are the only way to reproduce the look of the the old rubylith masks, and we all know how important that is <g>"

Them’s Fightin’ Werds!

: )
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
"Clipping Path Is Not Accurate"

My first thought when I read the topic title is that you did not use the pen tool to create the path but used a magnetic pen or some other creepy invention to make paths EZ.
JS
John_Slate
Mar 1, 2004
Now hol’ on there pardner.

Twas a time when I could fashion a mighty pretty ruby silo.

Taint agin the notion, jes figgering that we’s in new-fangled times about now.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
flashin’ zacto blades. ’tis an art to b-hold.

P-Shop’s paths tools R so cool ’cause ye kin go back en kerrect a cut not havin’ to re-do th’ ruby.

yep.
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
flashin’ zacto blades.

Not me I used a real ruby swivel knife
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
Buko, I’ve got one of those, with the microscopic ball bearings. Cool!

We might need ’em again if the power goes out or the printing industry decides that computers are just not going to make it in this business.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections