RL
Posted By
Richard_Leach
Apr 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I use the blending mode it will NOT change when I use the up and down arrow keys. In my photoshop class the blending mode will outline in blue and will change to different mode with arrows, but on my computer at home, the mode will not highlight nor does it change with the arrows. Adobe Photoshop Elements Help stated the follow:

To specify a blending mode for a layer:

Select the layer in the Layers palette.
Choose an option from the Blending Mode pop-up menu.
Right after you choose a blending mode, you can press the up or down arrows on your keyboard to try other blending mode options in the menu.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
Richard_Leach
Apr 13, 2004
When I use the blending mode it will NOT change when I use the up and down arrow keys. In my photoshop class the blending mode will outline in blue and will change to different mode with arrows, but on my computer at home, the mode will not highlight nor does it change with the arrows. Adobe Photoshop Elements Help stated the follow:

To specify a blending mode for a layer:

Select the layer in the Layers palette.
Choose an option from the Blending Mode pop-up menu.
Right after you choose a blending mode, you can press the up or down arrows on your keyboard to try other blending mode options in the menu.
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
Richard,

The Blending Mode drop-down does not work that way in Elements.

Byron
PA
Patti_Anderson
Apr 13, 2004
Mine does (Windows XP). If I click on a Blending mode on the Layers palette it highlights it blue and then after the drop down list goes back up I can scroll up & down through the modes with the arrow keys.

I can scroll through the fonts this same way and also increase/decrease numbers or percentages in dialog boxes. I’ve always thought that this was a Windows standard, leftover from MS-DOS days.

Patti
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 13, 2004
I second Patti. It works with PSE2 in Win XP.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 13, 2004
It works that way on the Mac … but how I did it was:

Put the cursor on the blending mode box then click once … the pop up box appears and stays on the screen … you can then use the up and down keys and it options you select in blue.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 13, 2004
On a Mac, using the Plus and Minus keys with SHIFT will scroll through the list of blending modes.

Ray
PD
Pete_D
Apr 13, 2004
On a Mac, using the Plus and Minus keys with SHIFT will scroll through the list of blending modes.

Same on WinXP Ray, no selection required to use plus and minus keys. Also the same as others are finding, that selecting one mode allows scrolling through modes with arrow keys.

Pete
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
<Byron Gale> wrote
The Blending Mode drop-down does not work that way in Elements.

In retrospect, I should have said:

The Blending Mode drop-down does not work that way in MY installation of Elements 2.0 under Win98SE.

Apologies for the inaccuracy!!

Byron
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 13, 2004
Another PSE forum "aha" moment!

When using the blend mode box and the arrow keys the mode changes as it goes. Neat way to see easily what each change does!

Dick
RL
Richard_Leach
Apr 13, 2004
thank you for your quick response.
unfortunately I have my PSE2 on WIN98SE.
the mode box will not highlight in blue nor will it scroll with the arrows
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
wrote
…I have my PSE2 on WIN98SE.

Richard,

That certainly explains why it doesn’t work for BOTH of us… 😉

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 13, 2004
Out of curiosity, does the Shift + and Shift – works for any of you ?

Ray
P.S. Thanks Pete, I didn’t want to fire up the Win machine just to check that feature (the poor thing has been dormant for 3 weeks now!!) 🙂

Richard,

That certainly explains why it doesn’t work for BOTH of us… 😉
Byron

BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
"Ray" wrote
Out of curiosity, does the Shift + and Shift – works for any of you ?

Ray,

Negative. The Blending Mode drop-down never "highlights" in Win98SE. Clicking the word, or the arrowhead, opens the list., but instead of a highlighted entry, there is a checkmark next to the current mode. Selecting a mode closes the list, and displays the new mode in the word field, but the field is not highlighted.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 13, 2004
Byron,

The Shift + and Shift – doesn’t highlight the blending mode neither. It simply changes them. Strange, I never believed these commands to be OS related. It seems to be that they’re not working under Windows 98, but does under Windows XP.

Thanks for the update,

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
Ray,

I need to amend my previous answer…

SHIFT+ and SHIFT- do work, as long as I use the + and – keys in the main keyboard section.

I was trying it with the + and – on the number pad — THOSE do not work. (I don’t know why I thought to go back and try it with the other keys, but I’m glad I did)

So, thanks for the tip!! I hope Richard comes back to see the solution…

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 13, 2004
Byron,

Was the NumLock key on? Mine is always on, meaning when I type numbers on the numerical keypad, they are numbers, not cursor movement.

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
"Ray" wrote
Was the NumLock key on?

Ray,

That is it! I always have my NumLock on. I toggled it off and those +/- keys work as well that way.

Good catch. For me, I will just remember that I can scroll the blend mode with the keyboard +/-, since I am so accustomed to using the 10-key number pad for numeric entries.

Thanks, again.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 14, 2004
Another satisfied customer 😉

Ray
RL
Richard_Leach
Apr 14, 2004
Thank you Raymond!!!!!
The Shift and + and – keys will change the blending modes. Thanks again for your quick response.

Richard
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 15, 2004
Hi Ray, Cool tip! So nice to be able to view them so fast! Works on my number pad also, and its nice to see the names change too.
Thank you,
Jane

edit+add, Wish I had known this when we were doing those neat Gradients that we put on pbase. J
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 15, 2004
I actually discovered this feature by mistake, as I was trying to zoom out. Realized nothing was happening. Tried to zoom in, nothing happened neither… Then I looked at the history palette (if something got done, it must have been recorded there, I thought). And there they were, the blending mode changes !

Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections