Z
Posted By
Zed
Jan 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PSP9 fairly happily at the moment. It does have its own peculiar traits from time to time but is getting a little long in the tooth & will be looking to either upgrade to the Corel version or go for Photoshop Elements which I wouldn’t have of dreamed of moving to until Jasc sold PSP.

I’ve read several reviews of both these & others but PSE without exception has been rated over PSP. I’ve always not considered PS due to its price & lack of user-friendliness & Elements as a joke but most of the reviews state that Elements has vastly improved. My view is unless PSP has some rabbits left in its hat, I might as well go for broke & go with the package that most magazine tutorials are for, that most people use & is probably going to have more scripts written for. The only uncertainty with Elements is that I’m not sure if it has anything similar to PSP’s Clarify filter that I use extensively & would not be without. I’m yet to find out details such as if most plugins for PS will also work with PSE such as some of the HDR ones etc..

I realise that PSP diehards will say stick with PSP despite it being a Corel product but I’d love to hear from anyone who’s neutral or has or does use both.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
Trev
Jan 21, 2007
"Zed" wrote in message
I’m using PSP9 fairly happily at the moment. It does have its own peculiar traits from time to time but is getting a little long in the tooth & will be looking to either upgrade to the Corel version or go for Photoshop Elements which I wouldn’t have of dreamed of moving to until Jasc sold PSP.

I’ve read several reviews of both these & others but PSE without exception has been rated over PSP. I’ve always not considered PS due to its price & lack of user-friendliness & Elements as a joke but most of the reviews state that Elements has vastly improved. My view is unless PSP has some rabbits left in its hat, I might as well go for broke & go with the package that most magazine tutorials are for, that most people use & is probably going to have more scripts written for. The only uncertainty with Elements is that I’m not sure if it has anything similar to PSP’s Clarify filter that I use extensively & would not be without. I’m yet to find out details such as if most plugins for PS will also work with PSE such as some of the HDR ones etc..

I realise that PSP diehards will say stick with PSP despite it being a Corel product but I’d love to hear from anyone who’s neutral or has or does use both.
I think most PSP die hards would say stay with PSP 9.
J
justaguyhanginout
Jan 21, 2007
Trev wrote:
"Zed" wrote in message

I think most PSP die hards would say stay with PSP 9.

when i changed to pspx i wasn’t too thrilled with it, so i looked at alternatives (and continue looking). elements was one of the alternatives i looked at but found it a huge pain in the ass. slow and clunky, complicated where it didn’t have to be, too easy where there should have been more options, etc. a program that should be included free with the purchase of a digital camera or something, but nothing useful for anyone with a real purpose.

psp xi was really bad (bugs, dumbed down, etc) so for now i’m just staying with pspx and continuing to look at alternatives.
J
JoeB
Jan 21, 2007
"Zed" wrote in
news::

I don’t believe that Elements has the Clarify filter. Also, while I think CS2 has a noise reduction filter, from comments I’ve read in the Corel Paint Shop Pro group I think the Digital Camera Noise Reduction filter in PSP is still the best filter for that purpose.

That said, you can download a 30 trial of Elements and see for yourself if it has the tools you need for what you do.

Regards,

JoeB
Z
Zed
Jan 22, 2007
Thus spake J.H.:
<Snipped>
psp xi was really bad (bugs, dumbed down, etc) so for now i’m just staying with pspx and continuing to look at alternatives.

Do you mean by dumbed down that functionality is missing when compared to previous versions? One extremely annoying ritual I’ve been through when upgrading PSP was recreating my custom toolbars so just because some icons don’t appear on default ones doesn’t bother me too much. Bugs, however, do!

As for Clarify, I don’t know if PSE or PS has anything like this dynamic range compressor. Lack of something similar maybe the crunch decider!
J
JoeB
Jan 22, 2007
"Zed" wrote in

Thus spake J.H.:
<Snipped>

Do you mean by dumbed down that functionality is missing when compared to previous versions?

I’m not J.H., but yes, some functionality is missing, and a few filters are added.

One extremely annoying ritual I’ve been through
when upgrading PSP was recreating my custom toolbars so just because some icons don’t appear on default ones doesn’t bother me too much.

Most, if not all, of the tools that existed in v.9 are available to be placed on your own toolbars through Customize. You’ll find them under Unused Commands.

Bugs, however, do!

v.X fixed most of its bugs with the 10.03 patch, but still has lost some functionality in the Curves, Levels and Histogram filters, and I can’t remember what else if anything. v.XI has a bug with its patch that doesn’t Combine from RGB after you have split an image into RBG. As I don’t use v.XI or v.X, I can’t presently recall what other bugs, if any, are still there.

As for Clarify, I don’t know if PSE or PS has anything like this dynamic range compressor. Lack of something similar maybe the crunch decider!

Perhaps you missed my post of several hours ago commenting on Clarify and DCNR. If interested, the post is still there as far as I know.

Regards,

JoeB
T
treker
Jan 22, 2007
For the record, I am a long-time PSP user and stopped when Corel took the helm. I tried vers X, didn’t appreciate it at all, and immediately deleted it from my computer. I’ve remained a user of Jasc’s last version, and will stay with it. I also tried Photoshop’s products and found them too expensive and too complicated to navigate or customize. Jasc made a great
product, and Corel ruined it. I only regret that more people didn’t appreciate it enough to keep it in good hands.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:25:39 GMT, JoeB wrote:

"Zed" wrote in

Thus spake J.H.:
<Snipped>

Do you mean by dumbed down that functionality is missing when compared to previous versions?

I’m not J.H., but yes, some functionality is missing, and a few filters are added.

One extremely annoying ritual I’ve been through
when upgrading PSP was recreating my custom toolbars so just because some icons don’t appear on default ones doesn’t bother me too much.

Most, if not all, of the tools that existed in v.9 are available to be placed on your own toolbars through Customize. You’ll find them under Unused Commands.

Bugs, however, do!

v.X fixed most of its bugs with the 10.03 patch, but still has lost some functionality in the Curves, Levels and Histogram filters, and I can’t remember what else if anything. v.XI has a bug with its patch that doesn’t Combine from RGB after you have split an image into RBG. As I don’t use v.XI or v.X, I can’t presently recall what other bugs, if any, are still there.

Perhaps you missed my post of several hours ago commenting on Clarify and DCNR. If interested, the post is still there as far as I know.
Regards,

JoeB
T
Trev
Jan 22, 2007
"Zed" wrote in message
Thus spake J.H.:
<Snipped>

Do you mean by dumbed down that functionality is missing when compared to previous versions? One extremely annoying ritual I’ve been through when upgrading PSP was recreating my custom toolbars so just because some icons don’t appear on default ones doesn’t bother me too much. Bugs, however, do!

Not quiet missing but hidden. Apart from the overlay in Histogram adjustments That Corel say the will put back in future versions. All of PSP 9 is there But there was a change with PSP x in the way the browser operates. Its now a pallet that can be open and moved around the screen and onto second monitor if that’s how you work. X1 has gone a step further in adding it to the bottom elements style but It can be moved or closed, Ctrl + B is good.
After the patch for X1 it seams to be very acceptable to most users. The colour changer which is a bit like the colour replaced but now takes inconsideration the lightness and darkness (Shading) of the original colour is V Good but not worth the upgrade on its own. the ability to do screen grabs from movie clips in the browser is nice. But a filter to create old time photo looks IE blue and white is not something needed in a high end editor. All in all its not bad but I dont think I will upgrade, Even if the price drops well down I will wait and see what XII has to offer. The word Photo added to the name makes me think there will not be any further development of the vectors and graphics side only Photo embellishments. I think Corel’s Problem is It competes with draw as a all-rounder shame really as the have the know how to add to the Vector side of things. I would like Envelope text to be added.

I do have Photoshop 7 and love some features but hate others. I think a lot of it is more to do with my way of working with PSP. I’m used to that and get frustrated when PS does not do it the same way.
Elements is too photo only. If, as many new graphics users do, al you want is to open digital camera images add some simple enhancements crop and print, then its ok and PSP would be a more expensive alternative. Unless you want or Need the digital noise remover and chromatic fringe remover tools then PSP is a better tool than CS2 as adobe dont have anything like it and relies on third party plugins costing have off PSP or more

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections