Can PSE 2.0 overlay two photos of same image?

PS
Posted By
Peter Sale
Jul 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I expose an interior photo of a room with a brightly lit window, either the interior will be under-exposed and the window (exterior) will be properly exposed, or window will be over-exposed and the wall will be properly exposed. This is especially true when shooting with a digital camera.

Is there some way in Photoshop Elements to "overlay" the properly exposed window on
top of the photo with the over exposed window (and properly exposed interior), producing a single image where both the window AND the interior are both properly exposed?
Regards,
Peter

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 16, 2003
This whole process as described by Ray assumes your original images are taken from exactly the same vantage point (a tripod-mounted camera, no change in zoom setting) and can be brought into tight ‘registration’ with each other. If you’re talking about merging two images shot handheld, you’re going to have some considerable work to do to get them to align properly.

Another alternative is to take one exposure, set to expose for the highlights, i.e., the window, and use a Levels Adjustment layer with a gradient mask to hold the highlights while bringing up the details in the shadows – assuming there’s still some detail there. If the exposure value difference between the highlights and shadows is too great, that won’t work and you’ll want to try Ray’s approach.
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2003
The method Chuck describes is the one that I use – I’m rather too lazy about using a tripod to do the combining different exposures. The Luminous landscape website has a tutorial on blending
< http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.sht ml>

Note that what Ray is doing is the Elements-out-of the box version of their first solution. If you have an add-on to Elements giving the ability to create a layer mask then you should be able do the second solution as is – and I don’t think it would be very difficult to work out how to do create a similar mask using the grouped layer technique that Ray has suggested. (I don’t have time to work out the steps right now, but it shouldn’t be hard).

Luminous landscape is a fantastic resource with some truly fabulous pictures if you’ve never come across it before
Susan S.

Edit: thinking about it, I feel that there ought to be a way to get one image to lighten the darker parts of another by using blending modes – I don’t have suitable images to play with right now to see if it works.
P
Phosphor
Jul 17, 2003
I’ve had a go at doing this now – and I think that Ray’s method works best – but it can be quite hard to get a correctly exposed photograph of the darker areas that doesn’t have lens flare or blooming of highlights that from the overexposed portion, making the blending quite difficult – this was especialy noticeable for the situation the original poster was considering with a bright view through a window from a dark interior – Why don’t these digicams ever come with a lenshood?! It worked much better for landscape shots where the range of contrast was less. But then Chuck’s method works much better then too!

I coudn’t get anything that worked with blending modes! Wishful thinking again.

susan S

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections