How to reinstall CS2 photoshop and Illustrator without losing gradients, patterns, brushes etc. OS X

A
Posted By
andvari
Jul 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, Recently I had to re-install my OSX operating system due to some errors, Now I need to reinstall photoshop and illustrator but in order to do this I have to send the whole folders to the trash, In other words, By doing so I’d lose all my presets so…I want to reinstall photoshop and Illustrator without losing my Actions, gradients, patterns, brushes…etc How can I do this…I tried locating them but I can’t find them

thanks a million

CS2
MAC OS X 10.4.11 tiger
POWERPC

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jul 25, 2008
save them.
A
andvari
Jul 28, 2008
but where are these files located?
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2008
Wherever you save them.

If you don’t save them they are just part of the prefs.
A
andvari
Jul 28, 2008
but where are these files located?
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2008
they are part of the prefs they do not exist as separate files until you save them.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2008
The files WILL be located in whatever location you choose to save them to.

For now, the files do not exist as independent files at all, they are just part of the general Photoshop preferences, as Buko indicates. You need to save a preset (curves, actions, brushes, whatever) before they exist as a file.

So start saving them, one by one, from the respective palette menu, and you will be creating them, one by one, to wherever you chose to save them. Otherwise you WILL lose them, as they do not yet exist as files anywhere.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2008
You could create a single folder called Saved_Presets_folder and save everything there.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Andvari,

Both Buko and Ramón are telling you the same thing but I thought I’d explain it in slightly different terms in case you were still unsure.

When you create actions, brushes, styles, gradients, patterns etc. think of them as living in the palette where you saved them. As Buko accurately described they exist in preferences files at that point, not files like .abr files for brushes. The easiest way to deal with your change to a new version of PS is to open the Preset Manager in your previous version of Photoshop. There you can select the items you wish to save by highlighting them and then use the Save Set… button. Once you save the set of those presets they are written to a file which you can put in your presets folder of the new installation.

During selecting if you click to highlight a preset and then move to a different location and Shift Click all the presets between the two items clicked upon will be highlighted. If you wish to select items which aren’t in a contiguous group you can Command Click individual items to build up a selection group of individual items.

The only items which aren’t savable in this manner are Actions. For those you need to select your actions in the Actions Palette and use the flyout menu Save Actions… dialog found by clicking on the three little parallel horizontal lines with triangle found at the top right of the Actions palette.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections