How do I fix video stills with weird checker-style patterns?

ZP
Posted By
Zach_Perkins
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a bunch of video stills and they all have a weird checker style pattern (kind of like jpeg errors), especially around the faces. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks a lot!

/z

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 24, 2004
The old fashioned way – clone tool/healing brush. That’d be about it in PS.
ZP
Zach_Perkins
Aug 24, 2004
I thought there might be some sort of filter that might be able to fix this? It’s a video capture and I know PS has video tools, but I am not to familiar with them
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 24, 2004
PS has video tools

The only ones I’m aware of have to do with interlacing and NTSC. But I’ve seen corrupted video so based on what I’m imagining as the type of pattern you’re describing, there’s nothing automatic.

In general, one of the biggest challenges is to guess what pixels should be artificially inserted. Not that you expected this, but the way they show it on TV is pure fantasy.

Peace,
Tony
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 24, 2004
Zach,

These are Mpeg2 artefacts. They can be somewhat covered by mixing adjecent frames. If the frames are nearly equal, or the subject is not moving for a second or so, these squares may render each other quite invisible.

This is also a techbique used to remove some noise or grain from cine frames (if the target is a still photo).

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections