Why does color proof look drastically different between workspace and Print dialog?

DG
Posted By
David_Gurney
Jul 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all.

The calibration thread is very informative, but this is (I think) a more general question.

I’m perplexed by the difference between Photoshop’s on-screen "proof colors" and the preview that’s shown in the Print dialog. I have an Epson R800 that I’ve profiled using an Xrite i1 for plain and glossy paper. I have some printing to do on plain paper, so I went into Photoshop’s View/Proof Setup menu and created a setting that uses the plain-paper profile.

When I proof the colors, they are a decent match for the printout if I turn all color management off when printing. But if I activate the plain-paper profile in the Print dialog, the preview there changes drastically and the printout output also changes; the print-dialog preview matches the printout better than the proof display in the workspace. Check it out:

< http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2692509546_cd6ab3c091_o. jpg>

The left is the proof in the workspace, and the right is in the Print dialog. How can I get the workspace preview to match the Print dialog preview (which matches the printout better)? I didn’t even know about the Edit/Color Settings dialog until I read the other thread, so those are at their defaults.

I’ve tried similar gyrations in Corel Draw under Windows, with results that seem to make more sense. When I activate color management and have Draw use the plain-paper profile to adjust the workspace display, the workspace display looks more like the printout.

Thanks for any insight.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 22, 2008
What version of Photoshop?
DG
David_Gurney
Jul 23, 2008
CS3
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 23, 2008
First off there is a bug in the print dialog box with regards to the " proof" profile name and color preview. Make sure that if you change the proof set-up profile that you go to the proof set-up portion in the print dialog and re select the " current custom set-up" profile. This bug is completely adding to the confusing complexity of the print dialog box and is clearly in dire need of a complete overhaul.

Make sure the "match print colors" is checked as well to display the correct output to your device.

To answer your question…

How can I get the workspace preview to match the Print dialog preview (which matches the printout better)?

In the proof set-up select the profile you want to apply in the " device to simulate" drop down. Select the rendering intent and if you want BPC as well. Make sure you select " Simulate paper color". Observe the preview and click OK.

Go to the print dialog and select " Photoshop manages color" – select your custom printer profile as well as applying the same rendering intent and if you are using BPC as well. Again, make sure you have "match print colors" checked.

Your working space preview and your print dialog preview should match now.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections