Posted By
amylee
Aug 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am the beginner of photoshop

I understand the input of normal scanner use RGB mode(example I scan the color photo) photoshop use use RGB mode
and the output of normal printer use Cmyk mode

As the result the color have some difference
(and i feel the photo usually become dark)

What is the best Way to reduce the color difference between printer and scanner

Many thanks

cmyk

Best Way to reduce the color difference between printer and scanner

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 1, 2007
Amylee,

1. calibrate and profile the monitor.

1. Scan a ( IT-8 ) target and make a scanner profile.

2. make (or get) a profile for the printer.

3. Under no circumstances send CMYK to an inkjet printer. They convert internally. Use CMYK for press plate separations.There’s good reading here:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com>

Rob
SP
Sid_Phillips
Aug 1, 2007
Amylee:

You’ll need a color management system to calibrate and profile your monitor and scanner. Most that do this will also create profiles for your printer. Cost for such a bundle is about $500 and up, depending on how sophisticated your needs are.

However, you can get started for less than half the price and still get pretty good results. First thing to do is calibrate and profile your monitor. You will need a monitor profiling system (Spyder, eyeOne, Optix, etc.) ranging from $150 to $250 on average. You really need to make this investment if no other.

After your monitor is calibrated and profiled, you need to make sure you are using the right ICC profile for your printer/paper/ink combination. I won’t go into detail about this, there are lots of great articles on the web you can read.

This means that – for the most part – the color you see on your monitor is going to be the color you see in prints. So when you scan an image and then edit it in Photoshop, you should be able to print out what you see in Photoshop.

Good luck!
L
LenHewitt
Aug 3, 2007
Brett,

Is there any reasons you said this<<

Windows printer drivers cannot accept or use CMYK data. When such a driver is the targeted output device, the application has to convert the data on the fly to RGB. Then when that data is received at the printer the firmware converts it back to the CMYK or CcMmYK or CMYKk or whatever that particular printer’s print heads require.

Now, if you have a PostScript driver as the targetted output device, that CAN accept CMYK data and so no conversion is necessary.
BD
Brett Dalton
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks guys. That makes sense that the double conversion is going to distort the colour space. I hav’nt had any problems with our main printer as it’s a dye sublimation printer that accepts CMYK, but our disk printer is an inkjet (for small run jobs). I tend to proof the disks on the paper printer if it’s going outside which may be why I havn’t had problems.

BRETT

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections