Posted By
Borrox
Dec 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I have just brought a new graphics card (NVidia 6600 256Mb) and done some new scanning and some printing. Gob smacked!! It looks as though the scanned images have way too much contrast even though it is set at norm as before. So, I alter the image in PS CS and it looks OK, so I save as jpg (as norm) open up another program I use because of the templates (I create multimedia and put onto CD-R and DVD-R’s), printed them off and they are so washed out it is frigntening!
What is going on? I tried to calibrate but the Adobe Gamma has vanished. Why would changing the graphics card make such a drastic change? Can I download Adob Gamma from the net. I know it is on the CS disc but I installed from a friends disc, who is on holiday for christmas in the Caribean! Many thanks

Nig

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
Tacit
Dec 17, 2005
In article <do0q38$psu$>,
"Borrox" wrote:

I have just brought a new graphics card (NVidia 6600 256Mb) and done some new scanning and some printing. Gob smacked!! It looks as though the scanned images have way too much contrast even though it is set at norm as before. So, I alter the image in PS CS and it looks OK, so I save as jpg (as norm) …

Okay, stop right there. Before we go on:

Why do you save as JPEG?

JPEG is a "lossy" image format. Every time you save a picture as JPEG, you degrade its color. JPEG was invented for situations where file size on disk is critical and image quality is not important. Never, never save your images as JPEG unless you have a clear and specific reason why JPEG is the only format you can possibly use and no other image format will work.

open up another program I use because of the templates (I create multimedia and put onto CD-R and DVD-R’s), printed them off and they are so washed out it is frigntening!

Photoshop does color management. It changes the colors you see on your screen in order to compensate for your exact brand of monitor and the way you plan to use the image.

Other programs do not do color management.

If your color management settings in Photoshop are wrong, what you see on your screen will not match what you see in print or in other programs.

What is going on? I tried to calibrate but the Adobe Gamma has vanished. Why would changing the graphics card make such a drastic change? Can I download Adob Gamma from the net. I know it is on the CS disc but I installed from a friends disc, who is on holiday for christmas in the Caribean!

So in other words, you have a stolen copy of Photoshop and you are a criminal. I suppose that telling you to read the chapter on color management in your manual in order to solve your problem probably won’t help, then.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections