Hundreds of old scans open in Preview instead of Photoshop!

IB
Posted By
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just moved hundreds (maybe thousands) of slides that were scanned 5 years ago to my new iMac 2.8 (Penryn) and Photoshop CS3.

When I double click the slides in Bridge they open in Preview ! (This never happened when I used Photoshop Elements 2).

If I control-click each original slide and select "Get Info" it says "Open with Preview".

Now I could spend the next few days changing them all to "Open with Photoshop" BUT is there an automatic way of altering them all reasonably rapidly ?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 19, 2008
Get Info on one file. Open With… choose Photoshop. The Change All button will be highlighted. Click Change All.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks Welles ………. you seem to have answered before I posted the question !

Telepathy ? I am very impressed.

One more question ……. I have just noticed that when I select a picture, the image in Bridge’s Preview screen looks very mottled or mosaic like.

I assume this is because it was scanned originally when I was using OS 9.2 and PSE2 etc.

Is there a quick way (or any way at all) of making the Preview image crisp as it should be ?
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2008
yes OS 9 had smaller thumbnails the only way to make them better is to resave in Photoshop.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks Buko.

Would that have to be done individually or is there a rapid batch feature as I am not going to do a thousand or so one at a time?

It makes you wonder whether in another 5 years there will be incompatibilities between the photos we are making now and the future Photoshop or Mac OS.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Just realised I could use File>Scripts>Image Processor.
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2008
Just realised I could use File>Scripts>Image Processor.

Yup.

Also bridge will show you the high res image as it draws its own thumbnail.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks.

I think I will re-scan them in the near future as they were done at the ridiculously low 800ppi because of equipment limitations and slowness……. 3200ppi should do it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections