S
Posted By
SteveLadd
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop just stopped opening. It just keeps repeating the Scanning Font and Reading Preference on the opening page and won’t go any further. I can open ImageReady, but it has slowed down quite a bit, very sluggish. I’m using Mac OS 9.22 and Photoshop 6.01. Thanks for any help. This is frustrating.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
JasonSmith
Feb 24, 2004
disable all non essential fonts.

if that doesn work, try trashing your PS preferences.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 24, 2004
Sounds like a corrupted font (or more than one). You’ll have to find out which it is and delete or reinstall the font.
S
SteveLadd
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks for the response. Any suggestions for how best to disable non-essential fonts? Or discover which font may be corrupt? Would this also cause ImageReady to be sluggish?
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Steve,

Trial and error. If you are using a font manager, deactivate all but the essential system fonts (like Charcoal, Geneva, Chicago, Monaco). If you still have the problem, a new reinstall of the system is in order; if the problem’s gone, keep adding groups of fonts until you ferret out the offending one(s).

If you do not use a font manager, you need to deactivate fonts by taking them out of the Fonts Folder inside your System Folder.
JA
Just_A_Mac_Guy
Feb 24, 2004
Photoshop6 requires Helvetica and {I think} Zapf Dingbats. Not sure why but without Helvetica, PS reports during Startup that it can’t continue because of a hardware or software problem.

Launching without Zapf Dingbats can occasionally cause it to crash too, I have yet to find a clear answer why, but keep those 2 fonts loaded all the time.

This does not answer your error but it could be related. Does photoshop open normally and then hang when opening a specific file? That would indicate a problem with the file.

Does photoshop crash when opening the application without opening a file? that indicates a problem with the software or its preferences.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections