JS
Posted By
Jim_Solt
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select my CD drive as the source for opening pictures, some of the pictures appear with a question mark in the frame and they blink on and off. Many if not all of them have a symbol that looks like a padlock. What does this mean? How should I be opening a CD as a source for pictures?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 2, 2004
Jim,

Are you using the elements file browser to look at your images? If so the question marks simply mean that Elements has yet created the thumbnail image for each of your files. Give if a few moments and thumbnails should replaced the question marks.

If it is a DC/R you are reading from all of your images will have the padlock icon, indicating that they are read only. It won’t keep them from opening, only from resaving them to the CD.

Hope that helps.

Dick
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 2, 2004
Dick,
Yes your answer helps a lot. Thanks. RE: Resaving the photos. They are on a CD-RW. I don’t know as I’d want to, but could I modify an image and resave it under a different name or is PE 2 recognizing my CD as read only?
Jim
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 2, 2004
Save to hard drive, can’t save back to CD.
You can burn the images to a CD later.

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 2, 2004
Am I "misremembering", or do we have another pretty recent thread in which someone reported that image files saved on a CD-RW became corrupted? Jim, I think the most prudent thing to do would be to move the photos to your hard drive, do your editing, and then burn them on to plain CD-Rs as Mac suggests. The CD-RWs are prone to being unreliable.
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 2, 2004
You’re right, Beth, it was a discussion recently.
PD
Pete_D
Apr 2, 2004
Am I "misremembering", or do we have another pretty recent thread in
which someone reported that image files saved on a CD-RW became corrupted? <<

Oh heck yes Beth.

Even though it was 4 years ago I remember all the hours, days and weeks to reconstruct files lost on 2 CD-RW’s. (as you may recall the files were there, just could not open. Closest explanation I heard was that when the files were opened, changes made, and resaved the directory could no longer recognize them). I have never since and never will use an RW CD again. And there were other comments with similar problems.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections