JS
Posted By
james_schot
Aug 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Read forum letters on making Copyright Symbol….Alt 0169, etc.

I don’t get it. In PhotoShop training with Julieanne Kost, she says press ‘Option g’ or ‘j’ (I have windows so that’s Alt g or j) and she get’s symbol plus she can write the rest of her copyright name and make it a Style to use over and over. Her font was Myriad MM.

I only have Myriad and it did not work for me. I need the symbol and the letters in one type layer so I can make it a re-usable style.

Cutting and pasting and Alt(ing) 0169 are not going to allow making 1 style as Julieanne did in her PhotoShop QuickStart training. Any ideas or fonts that have the symbol and regular type?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 14, 2004
The option key is a Macintosh thing. You have to use much more obscure codes to find the special characters on Windows.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 14, 2004
Alt(ing) 0169 are not going to allow making 1 style

Why won’t Alt-0169 work?

Chris,

much more obscure codes

All due respect, but "hardly". Windows Character Map (under Accessories) will display the Alt sequences for characters. Point is, it’s not really obscure.

Peace,
Tony
RH
r_harvey
Aug 14, 2004
It is one definition of obscure (2 not easily perceived; specif.,
a) not clear or distinct; faint or undefined), but no more so than having to remember these Alt+Meta+Cokebottle* keystrokes on the Macintosh. Neither is easy or memorable, especially as the number of screwball glyphs increases. That’s why many newer applications have glyph/symbol palettes.

* ’80s reference that nobody will remember.
DP
Donkey_Punch
Aug 14, 2004
I’ve found saving it as a Custom Shape is easiest. Since there’s no point in keeping fonts embedded in a PS doc, you’re better off finding it as a vector and saving it.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 14, 2004
I’ve found saving it as a Custom Shape is easiest

Actually it comes with PS as a shape…
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 14, 2004
when doing alt-0169, you may need to have the num lock key on. press and hold alt, while still holding press 0169. let go of alt and the symbol should show.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 14, 2004
Thank you Professor Obvioso. See the first line of the original question.

Long night of Olympics, huh?

(How do you do those smiley thingies?)
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 14, 2004
I was up at 3am watching it here r_!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 14, 2004
In many/most cases, you don’t have to have NUMLOCK on, though most people probably do.

which is why i explained that to him. and i think your ratio is reversed. in most/many cases you need it. some systems seem not to. that light you’re seeing? blinding flash of obvious. don’t step in anything while you’re dazzled by it.
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Aug 15, 2004
Thanks for reminding me Dave, my computer does need the num/lock key, and that’s why it didn’t work for me this morning. My ferret turned it off again, and I didn’t notice until just now!

(Ferrets are not good animals around computers, especially when the cat has taught them how to climb).
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 15, 2004
My ferret turned it off again, and I didn’t notice until just now!

heh! 🙂
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 15, 2004
We’ll have to modify PEBCAK to PEBFerretAK 🙂
JS
james_schot
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for all the input. Num lock Alt0169 gets me a ? (but at least it got me something). Anyway wish there was a character set with the copyright symbol and regular letters for my name, but it must not exist.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 20, 2004
James,

In Windows, you can open Character Map (under Accessories?) and get a copyright symbol to paste. But honestly, everyone and their brother uses Alt0169, by hodling down the alt-key and typing those numbers on the numeric keypad. It’s been around since DOS days.

There’s also a custom shape that ships with Photoshop that is a vector copyright symbol.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 20, 2004
Num lock Alt0169 gets me a ? (but at least it got me something).

You’re not holding down the Num Lock key, right? It’s like CapsLock, it stays that way. If you’re using a laptop computer that doesn’t have a number pad, it may work differently.

Anyway wish there was a character set with the copyright symbol and regular letters for my name, but it must not exist.

©©james schot©©

It’s in most commercial fonts, for Macintosh and Windows. If you’re using an old font, a different Codepage, a symbol font, or a custom font, you may get a different character.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections