T
Posted By
Tim923
Sep 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What settings should I use when scanning a picture on a page of a yearbook?

Dots per inch?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Sam
Sep 15, 2006
Tim923 wrote:

Dots per inch?

at a setting which reduces the screen used in the printing of the year book.
K
Kingdom
Sep 15, 2006
Tim923 wrote in
news::

Dots per inch?

try 600 and resize in photoshop

———————————————————— ———— Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
———————————————————— ————
T
Tim923
Sep 15, 2006
try 600 and resize in photoshop

There is a descreen option. I could scan at high res and resize down.

Something else I wondered. Is it best to resize by powers of 1/2? With 50%, I see how each adjacent 4 pixels are neatly combined into 1. And the same with 25%. Maybe it doesn’t make much difference when there are lots of pixels involved, but what happens when a smaller pic (maybe 100pixels x 100pixels, or 200×200) is resized to some arbitrary percentage, mayb 83% or 57%. Maybe I should try this to see how natural it looks.
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 15, 2006
The big headache with yearbook pictures is the halftone dots.

The best solution I’ve found is to scan at a fairly high resolution – 300 to 600 pixels per inch, then use the freeware FFT plugin to remove the dots while preserving detail reasonably well. Once you have a good image, resize to your pixel dimensions if necessary.

Here’s an article I did some time ago that shows how to do this. Scroll down to the example with the picture of the wrench to see what this method will do. Later there is a discussion of how to use this plugin in Elements as well as Photoshop.
http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
T
Tim923
Sep 16, 2006
"Mike Russell" wrote:

These are B&W yearbook photos on the paper I’m interested in, and not color. I don’t know if that makes a difference?
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 16, 2006
"Tim923" wrote in message
"Mike Russell" wrote:

These are B&W yearbook photos on the paper I’m interested in, and not color. I don’t know if that makes a difference?

The FFT method will work with either color or B&W. The example uses a B&W image.

One thing to notice is the writing on the handle of the wrench is clearer after the dots have been removed. AFAIK, retaining or even slightly clarifying detail is unique to using an FFT operation to remove the dots. < http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.msg382# msg382> —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections