PK
Posted By
Peter_Kleine
Feb 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create some custom file/folder icons using PSCS2 for use in the OSX desktop environment. Unless this is just a bad idea to begin with – just asking for system trouble – what would be the best pixel dimensions, color mode and file format for MacOSX icons?

Thanks in advance for all comments.
Peter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
SuperMacGuy
Feb 12, 2007
currently icons are 128×128 px. Rumor has it OS X 10.5 will be up to 512x512px. Always RGB, plus you can have alpha. You can use photoshop to generate the icon. I believe you can even have it layered, but ‘maximize compatibility’ must be on in your PS prefs. OSX developer tools has a program you can then just drag the PS file onto, the app is called "icon composer". There is also a program (older) called iconographer that will aid in icon making, if you are gonna be serious about it. Also the Iconfactory.com has a program, icon builder, that will make Mac OS and Windoze icon files and works like a PS plug in. There is no way to ‘natively’ save an icon from photoshop. Though it can make its own ‘preview icons’ those are not really the best looking, usually just a square with re-sampled detail.
PK
Peter_Kleine
Feb 12, 2007
Wow! I pulled up to the full-service pump.
Thanks for the info.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections