resize image based on an obect in photo

Posted By
Jan 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 400+ photos of drill bits. I want all the drills to have a shank with of .375 when they are cropped. Right now all the photos have a shank around 1.5 to 3.5 inches. I would like to leave a "blank" area around each tool that is equal –similar to a margin. I also have to straighten each photo. I am using the measuring tool to drag a line of what should be straight then go to rotate to have it filled in. It seems like there should be something like this for the resizing.

Any ideas on the best way to handle this? My thought was after I straightened the photo to drag a guide on all four sides where I want the "blank" space to be. Crop to that size. Measure the shank and divide the size by .375 to find out the percentage to shrink the whole thing. This seems like a too long process. Plus, after I resize to the .375 my "blank" space no longer is consistent in size.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Carl_Stawicki
Jan 17, 2007
Do the drill bits have clean and solid white space around them to start with?

If so, after you straighten them, you can run Trim to crop out the white space. This will make the width of the image cropped right up against the shank, give or take some anti-aliased pixels. Then resize to .375 wide (assuming they’re all the same resolution). Then add white canvas space to add the border.

Every step except the straightening can be done with an Action.

Carl.
Jan 17, 2007
Carl-

95% plus are probably clean. I haven’t looked at all the photos yet. I just got them back from the photographer. There may be a spec of dust in some but the tools were shot on a piece of clear plexiglass with a white drop several feet below it to eliminate any shadows.

Elaine
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Jan 17, 2007
Hopefully it will work. Trim needs a background that’s 100% clean to work properly. No dust, shadings, or anything.
Jan 17, 2007
Thanks Carl. I will try it tomorrow morning. I have to switch to a different project. I have never used the action pallet in PS but from what I read, it look easy. Thanks again.

Elaine
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jan 18, 2007
I have never used the action pallet in PS but from what I read, it look easy.

Until you get the action the way you want it, always work on a duplicate folder of the original files (especially if you’ve done other post-processing to clean up a few backgrounds, etc).
Jan 18, 2007
The action worked great except for adding area around the image. After applying "trim", I wanted to add the same amount of space to all four sides of the canvas. I should mention that the photos are not all the same height. The width of every photo is .375 but the heights vary depending on the product. I had gone in and just increase the pixels by 30 to the height and width. I see where it thinks the dimensions here are to be applied to the other images. Is there a way to add a percent or a set pixel size to have equal canvas space added around the image?

Elaine
B
Bernie
Jan 18, 2007
Make sure the "relative" box is checked in the canvas size dialog box. This allows you to all (or remove) a certain amount of canvas regardless of the size or your image.
Jan 22, 2007
This was working fine and dandy UNTIL Photoshop decided to stall out. I worked Friday all day with the action script and it worked fine. Today, when I launch PS go to open and select image to be opened and the spinning ball of death occurs. I threw away the preferences, made sure there were no updates and restarted. It continues to go into not responding mode. I left my software at home but I am planning on reinstalling PS unless some one else has a better idea.

I am using a G4 10.4.8, 1G memory, 33G available space, ID CS2.

Thanks
B
Buko
Jan 23, 2007
I don’t know how big your files are but 33GB of HD space is not much and neither is 1GB RAM. All the spinning beach ball means is that the computer is writing SWAP and Scratch files. If your scratch disk is on the startup disk then Photoshop has to share read/write heads with the system, this slows things down and will cause the SBBOD to appear.
Jan 24, 2007
Buko-

The file is only 1.4MG in Photoshop. I am only running Safari 2.0.4, Extensis Suitcase 11.0.4, and Microsoft Entourage 11.3.3 at the same time. I would say this is very little happening.

I get the message "Photoshop not responding" in the force quite application window. Are you thinking it is not really stuck but writing the SWAP Scratch files?
Jan 24, 2007
For others who run into this…

I did not need to reinstall Photoshop. I called Adobe and they suggested that I remove a cd that is in the hard drive. That fixed it. Even though I hadn’t opened any of the data on the cd, apparently Bridge was accessing the cd causing the problem.

Thanks everyone.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections