OA
Posted By
Ori_Aviv
Jan 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks for taking the time to read my question…

I am working on an image that has pretty poor resolution. I have applied some filters to it and it seems that the filters almost smoothed out some of the visual issues I had with the image such as the pixel size. Did using a filter actually change the resolution of my image? If not is there a way that I can change the resolution??

I am new to this so please let me know if i need to be more specific.

Thank you!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DR
Donald_Reese
Jan 6, 2007
You are probably refering to pixelation seen at low resolution. in other words,your photo lacks enough pixels to make a nice image,like those taken with cheap digital cameras. you can go to image -image size to make the size larger, but you are in essence adding fake pixels that were not there to begin with. if you had two images, one taken with a high res camera,and a second taken with a low res camera and then upsized to match the high res shot,you would see the high res looks much better because it started out capturing the image in much more detail due to the cameras sensor having a high pixel count to start.

I would venture a guess that maybe your filter blended some of the artifacts a little ,and consequently hid them from being so obvious. hope that was going in circles too much.
T
Talker
Jan 6, 2007
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 07:06:56 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to read my question…

I am working on an image that has pretty poor resolution. I have applied some filters to it and it seems that the filters almost smoothed out some of the visual issues I had with the image such as the pixel size. Did using a filter actually change the resolution of my image? If not is there a way that I can change the resolution??

I am new to this so please let me know if i need to be more specific.
Thank you!

To add to what Donald Reese said, you can try this to get a better idea of how the upsizing works.
If you have one, use a picture that you have printed out at 8×10, and that when printed, it was sharp and had good colors. Now, resize it to 4×6 at 300 dpi, and print a picture at that size. Now, using that 4×6 picture, upsize it to 8×10 at 300 dpi and print out that picture. If you look at the 4×6 print, it will look nice and sharp. If you compare the original 8×10 and the new 4×6 to the upsized 8×10, you will see that the new 8×10 is less sharp and not as colorful. As DR said, this is because the software has to add pixels that aren’t there, and when you do that, the results are less that optimum. By experimenting with it like this, you will get an idea of what to expect when you up size a picture.

Talker

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections