Posted By
dan_slater
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 6
I want to resize images to a specific area, preserving the aspect ratio. I want all of the images to be an area of 16900 square pixels. For example: –
130px x 130px or
150px x 113px or
175px x 97px
etc…

I can obviously do this by working out the dimensions of each image manually but I would like to create a plug-in or action which will perform this for me. Does anyone have a solution for this? If not, how can I learn about writing my own plug-in for v6 of Photoshop? I am proficient in Visual Basic.
Thanks for your assistance 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 24, 2004
You could write a script in one of a number of languages. Take a look here: < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1536>

It is non-trivial, but quite possible.

BTW, I can’t imagine why you’d want to do this – maybe you’ll enlighten us.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 24, 2004
Does the scipting plug-in work for PS6 then? I had thought it had to be 7.
DS
dan_slater
Feb 24, 2004
Yes, I also thought this was not compatible with PS6?

BTW, I can’t imagine why you’d want to do this – maybe you’ll enlighten
us

Yes. My reason for wanting this is to try and create a balanced page of product thumbnail images. I manage a web based catalogue containing 20,000 products. We originate all of the product images ourselves and have a clickable thumbnail of each product images. My problem is that the thumbnails are based on images of varying proportions, so if I stick to a fixed image height, many of the thumbnails are either too wide or too narrow. Likewise, if I stick to a fixed width, they are either too tall or too short.
I have experimented with the images and found that provided the area of each image is the same, the page looks more balanced. I want to automate this task somewhat to try to standardise the process and speed it up a little.

Thanking you once again for your assistance.
CW
Colin_Walls
Feb 24, 2004
I’d use auto-thumbnails in FrontPage, which implies there must be other solutions out there, without resort to scripts.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 25, 2004
6 didn’t use the scripting plug in but the full sdk is on the ps 6 disk.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 25, 2004
Dan,

If I read your reasoning right, wouldn’t it be just as easy to give all the images a background of specific dimensions? The net appearance, aspect ratio-wise, would be the same as the strategy you’re using.

You could easily create an action that simply does: Image|Canvas Size and give it specific dimensions. Then you could run the action on an entire folder (or folders) of images and be done in one fell swoop.

Otherwise, you’ll have to create an action for File|Automate|Fit Image and specify a maximum height, and a maximum width. PS will then evaluate the image, and increase one dimension until it reaches the max, keeping the aspect ratio the same.

Peace,
Tony
DS
dan_slater
Feb 26, 2004
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply. The products I am displaying are poster prints and have a wide variety of aspects. They do look right agains a fixed background size.
I’ll take a look at the SDK from the Photoshop CD. I was unaware that there was a SDK on the PS6.0 CD.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections