loss of quality when resizing / transforming an image (downsizing)

J
Posted By
jamesonslow
May 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I make an image smaller using transform or resize. I have a significant loss of quality. The images are simple JPEGs or GIFs.

Previously I have always used fireworks which keeps perfect quality when downsizing but I now have Photoshop6 which I want to use instead so I would like to get around this simple problem.

The resolution is kept the same and the proportions are constrained.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MG
Maurice_Green
May 2, 2004
James,
Did you try turning OFF (unchecking) the Image Resample box in the Image Size dialog box?

Maury
JJ
John Joslin
May 2, 2004
Make sure you view the result at 100% – other magnifications can look poor when the image isn’t.
J
jamesonslow
May 2, 2004
If I uncheck the Image resample box it then only allows me to resize the document size, not the image size. I need it for use for the web so this is no good to me.

I have made sure I am viewing at 100% as well but it still is poor quality.

But thanks for your help so far.

I have looked at it with a fresh pair of eyes this-morning and have worked out a way around it…By adjusting the size during the "save for web" section (as I am saving for the web anyway). For some reason when I make the image smaller here it doesn’t lose quality!!!
MG
Maurice_Green
May 2, 2004
James,
I don’t know what all of us were doing still awake at 1:30AM (last 3 messages), but so it is. I have no trouble resizing the IMAGE with the resample turned off. What happens, of course, is that as the size goes DOWN, the resolution goes UP because I’m not losing any pixels. Then when I save for the web, I reduce the resolution to 72 ppi to meet the requirements of the web page. And of course, as John said, you can’t magnify the 72ppi image and expect it to look the same as the original 300ppi picture.

Maury
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 2, 2004
PPI has no meaning on the web.
72 or 7200, the image displays the same, just uses pixel dimensions.

And yes, to downsample from a large image to smaller one, you of course DO have to have Resample: ON.

But might as well forget about doing it with inch/ppi change. It will of course downsample image, but you might as well just do it with pixel settings instead, as that’s the best way to think about web images.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections