Make PE amendments before or aftre re-sizeing?

EC
Posted By
edward_c_gregory
Mar 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

A basic question from a new user:

I scan a picture at 400pi, its file size is approx 2" X 2", 834 x 821 669K I need to make a lot of adjustments to the picture and end up with a picture about 10" X 8".

Do I
1. use the original scan and zoom in to make amendments, only re-sizing when satisfied with the result?
or
2. enlarge to the finished size and then carry out the amendments?

I have just completed a picture as 2, but feel this may be incorrect as the end file size is 3948 x 2792 pi, 82Mbs, not flattened. This Is a B/W picture, but manipulated in RGB. I know I could have kept to greyscale.

It is the basic question should amendments be made before or after resizing to a much larger size.

I look forward to receiving your comments.

Edward

PS I am pleased with the result I obtained, but I am not sure if it was achieved by the most appropriate way!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Mar 7, 2004
Edward,
I am not sure that I comprehend your problem entirely. Perhaps scanning at higher ppi will give better results for a large size picture.
I use the scanning calculator offered here:http://www.image-access.net/calc/index.html However, you may not be able get a good 8×10" print from your scan, as for printing one should strive for 240-300 ppi,and you can determine your resolution in Image>Resize>Image size and adjust the parameters with that goal in mind.
Ken
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 7, 2004
I agree with Ken that it sounds like – for that particular image you mentioned – scanning at a higher resolution would give you a better quality 8 X 10.

In answer to the part of the question about when best to do editing, I can’t offhand think of any reason why it should matter, although someone might come up with a reason I’m not thinking of. I would probably do my editing first, though, and then resize. That way I’d have one "master" that could be resized as I chose.
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Mar 7, 2004
Edward,

If your scanner software allows it, your best bet is to resize your picture using the scanner software and set the resolution as high as you can. It will take longer to scan, and it will be a large file, so you need the memory resources on your computer. However, you will have the maximum information to work with at your desired size.

Cheers
Cliff

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections