JG
Posted By
James_G._Robertson
Dec 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can not get PSE to be in the right click "Open With" list in windows XP. Can someone help me with this?

I do have the Cisco wireless application in that list and can not get it out. Could there be some mixup here?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 25, 2003
After you right-click on your image and select "Open With", go to the bottom of that list and "Choose Program". Then you will be able to locate Elements and choose it. After that, Elements should show up on the list.
JG
James_G._Robertson
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks, but what you suggest does not work, I have tried it many times. That is the problem. Also what does appear is the Cisco wirless management program.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 26, 2003
James, if you do the right click Open With and get a list of programs, there’s a Browse button that lets you go directly to the .exe file found in Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop Elements or Photoshop Elements 2; did you navigate that far and still have the problem?

Chuck
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 26, 2003
I probably was not clear with my instructions. After you click on the "Choose Program", you have to search for the Photoshop Elements executable file as Chuck has explained. You have to find that executable, select it, and then it should show up on your list the next time you use the "Open With" option.
JG
James_G._Robertson
Dec 27, 2003
I have done that many times. Once I browse to PSE and select it and click the option to always use that program, it will open. NEXT TIME it will not be in the list and I have to do the whole thing again.

I do know how to use the feature in Windows but it does not work correctly for PSE on my system at least. This method does work on other programs, just not for PSE.

Apparently, others who read this forum have not seen this problem.

I did upgrade from PSE to PSE 2. But that did not install left the original PSE on the system so I uninstalled original PSE. Maybe there is something amok in the registry as a result of this. Unfortunately, since it is an upgrade, it is a hassle to remove and reinstall as it will want to find the previous version which I think was a download.

Is there a utility, or instruction, to remove ALL of the PSE entries from the registry if I decide to uninstall are reinstall?
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 27, 2003
There is no utility specific to Elements for uninstalls. Use the "generic" uninstall feature and then do a Find for straggling files and delete them one by one. At this point, take out everything you can find – being careful to get files marked only for Elements, though, so you don’t cannibalize other Adobe products.

PSE 2 IS NOT an upgrade to PSE 1, so the whole program can be put back on right from the CD. Something weird happened on your computer, though, because theoretically both versions can be run on the same computer without problems. Both are on the computer I’m using right now, and I’ve even had them open and in use simultaneously.

Now – one more question: Was that downloaded copy of Elements a full version that you paid for? If so, everything I said about compatibility is correct. If it was a demo download, that DID need to be removed from the computer before installing a full version – either by another download or by CD.

Try going through your computer and taking off everything you can find, and then reinstall just PSE 2 from the disk. That might clear up the problems you’re having. At this point, it’s something that should be done anyway in order to clear the deck and make troubleshooting the "Open With" problem easier.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 29, 2003
I really wish I was home right now. There is a super little addon for windows that allows you to customize your "open with" list. It works like a charm.

But……in my "grandchild" rattle state I can’t remember the name of it!

Maybe later in the week I’ll find it when I’m back home.

Or, maybe someone else knows the proggy I’m thinking of.

dick
MS
Mobray_Steward
Jan 15, 2004
I have the same problem as James Robertson. I had PSE I which I uninstalled prior to installing PSE II. PSE I worked with right click and open with. I have gone through all the steps listed to no avail. When I browse and find PSEII .exe file, I click open and I return to the open with menu without PSE II listed. I uninstalled and reinstalled PSEII and still have the same problem. If I open PSEII from the icon,I then can open photos from the file menu. This is inconvenient as I use several graphics programs for different features.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 15, 2004
The most likely culprit here is the order in which you installed E1 then E2 and uninstalled E1. It most likely messed up some registry settings. For future reference it might be better to uninstall E1 before installing E2. I think a reinstall of E2 should set things straight. You may not even have to uninstall it first, just install over the old install, run once, quit, and then see if the Open With issue is resolved.

Rich
LM
Lou_M
Jan 15, 2004
You can alternatively put PSE in the "Send to" list instead of the "Open With" list. It does pretty much the same thing, except it shows up for all files.

Where exactly the Send To folder is located differs depending on which version of Windows you’re running.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 15, 2004
Oh, duh, the subject says you’re using XP. 🙂

Just right-click on the Start button and select Explore. The folder that’s highlighted in Explorer is the Start Menu folder. The folder that’s above it is the SendTo folder. Click on this folder to show its contents. Just leave it open for now.

Next, click Start–>All Programs and find Photoshop Elements and right-click on it; select Create Shortcut. A new link should appear in your Start Menu; drag this new link to the SendTo folder you left open previously.

Ta-da! Now just right-click a file and select SendTo–>Photoshop Elements.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 16, 2004
Great Tip, Lou Thanks for posting it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections