RH
Posted By
Ron Hirsch
Aug 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PS 7.0.1, Is there a way to assign one of the standard color spaces such as Adobe RGB (1998) to multiple image files all at once. Either selecting multiple images, or a folder to do this to would be fine.

I’ve searched around, but haven’t managed to spot this. It does seem that it should be possible.

Ron Hirsch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2003
Ron,

You create an action to Image|Mode|Convert or Assign Color Profle.

Then you create an action to Save As PSD. When finished creating this action, toggle its dialog to OFF.

Then you create a third action in which you record the playing of the first two, in sequence. Call it Convert and Save or something like that.

Then you can batch it. File|Automate|Batch.

Action to run = Convert and save
Source = Folder**
Choose = folder containing your images

Destination = Folder
Choose = folder where you want the images to go
CHECK the box that says Override Save As Informtion

Optionally choose a naming convention, hit "GO" and go get some coffee. Each image will open one by one from the specified source folder, will convert/assign profile, then save as psd in the specified destination folder.

** You can choose Browser instead of Folder and the batch will run on files selected by you in the browser.

Peace,
Tony
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2003
Ron,

Saving as JPG – you can do it, but here’s the issue. Nothing other than photoshop will see the profile. If your images are destined for web, then there’s no reason to convert color space since it will simply be ignored.

Also, without knoweing exactly what you are doing, please be aware that JPG should be conisdered Final Output format. Every thime you make a global change to a jpg and save it you will lose quality as JPG uses LOSSY compression.

Having said that, I can think of absolutely no instance where it makes sense to embed a profile in a jpg. There may be such a case, but I am not aware of it.

Your suggestion about changing color profiles on an image from the file browser introduces more errors than it solves. If they implemented that strategy, they may as well allow you to convert from RGB to other color modes as well. Hopefully you see where I’m going. If your images are important, you really want a deliberate change. On an image by image basis, you change profiles by using Image|Mode. If you want to perform that on a bunch of images, it is just as easy to use the method I outlined as your suggestion.

You simply have to have an action first – less than 10 seconds to create it. Then highlight your files in the file browser and run the action against those selected files.

Peace,
Tony

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections