Posted By
tindoim
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody:

I am Taiwanese. I am a student. I want to ask a question. When I open a image and transform to Lab channel,the software, photoshop can divide the Lab channel into three channel,respectivity.But the improtance of all, I do not understand why I click one of the three channels,it just show me the a and b channel color.In general,we can not see the a color and b color,it can display grayscal image color.
And I want to know how to draw the a channel and b channel in colors. thank you sincerely
Nana

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Sep 29, 2006
A and B channels are not "colors" but color axis, to say it roughly. More "a" means more pinkish, less means more greenish. Same with "b": More is more yellowish and less is more bluish. "L" stands for lightness.

You may change their values by clicking the eye of the composite channel (Lab) in the channels palette and then activating just one of them and painting just there.

But I wouldn’t be painting in Lab mode: It’s going to be a bit cumbersome.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 29, 2006
Nana,

Channels are always greyscale, regardless of mode (RGB, L*a*b or CMYK).

However, if from Edit >Preferences > Display and Cursors you check the "Show colour in Colour Channels", Photoshop will display a colour representation of the channel contents.
P
Pipkin
Sep 29, 2006
Also, here <http://www.ledet.com/margulis/articles.html> you may find some useful PDFs about LAB.
T
tindoim
Oct 2, 2006
Thank you,everyone.^_^
TM
Trevor_Morris
Oct 2, 2006
And of course, no discussion about Lab mode would be complete without mentioning Dan Margulis’ book, "Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace" ( <http://tinyurl.com/f6apn> )

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections