JC
Posted By
james_culp
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed the Bridge and Photoshop upgrade and now my Epson 2200 will no longer print. I can get the printer to check ink levels and print out a head test but it will no longer print an image. When going to the printer set up window I can see the image in the que but as it starts to run the print it stops job before the printer starts working. I have uninstalled and reinstaalled print drivers. Unplugged and replugged in. replugged all conections moveing the one I could to different places. Still the same challenge.I could print right up to the time I installed these Adobe upgrades so thats what I suspect but maybe it’s something else.

Any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GS
George_Stark
Dec 7, 2006
I have a 2200 that works well with the latest versions of Bridge and Photoshop.

A few random thoughts:

Can you print documents from any other applications?

Sounds a little like a spooling issue– Is your image file larger than normal?

Does your hardrive have extra space for spooling?

Have you tried printing a small image file?

George
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
I can not print in any program. Same issue. I print from very large image sizes 1 gig and higher. The computer is identifying the printer, as it will print a head cleaning and it shows up in my system profiler. But when I try to print it stops the job. It will send to que and i see it but when trying to launch printer it ‘stops job’. This may just be a coincidence but it happened after doing the update to Bridge and Photoshop.
I really dont know where to go from here. I hate to do a clean install as I always see that as a last ditch/ I ran Disk warrior also.
R
Ram
Dec 8, 2006
James,

More details are needed.

What exact version of Photoshop and the OS are you running. How much installed RAM? What percentage of available memory is Photoshop allowed to use?

How much space left on the drive? Do you have a separate drive for scratch disk?

My 2200 works fine here, Tiger 10.4.8, Photoshop 9.0.2.
I
iGary
Dec 8, 2006
By chance did you apply the latest Apple security update too?

First try the usual Repair Permissions. The moment I dismiss that it turns out to be the fix.

Also try Safe Booting once (hold the shift key down during boot until it says Safe Boot). Empty the trash and reboot normally.
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
Photoshop 9.02 / OSX 10.4.8. 3 Gbs Ram. 60% memory allowed. 40 Gigs open on harddrive.Yes seperate drive for scratch disk.I have run disk permissions.I have the latest secuity update.Will try the safe boot.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 8, 2006
Was it working BEFORE you installed the latest security update? (There have been a lot of problems reported with that Update.)
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
Ya it was working right before I installed the updates today. I don’t know enough to troubleshoot past where I am.
R
Ram
Dec 8, 2006
I did apply the latest security update, and I’ve been printing to my 2200 with no problems, including in the last few minutes, and there’s yet another print coming out of the printer right now.

Of course, I repaired permissions before AND after applying the update.

[The last print just came out. Perfect.]
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
So Ramon, what’s with rubbing that in?
R
Ram
Dec 8, 2006
Just reassuring you that it can work, even with the latest updates.

You need to troubleshoot your system.
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
James Can you print from a new user?

For the record I can print too and I applied the update no problems from 2 computers via printer sharing and the one the 2200 is connected to.
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
I tried printing from a new user but it will not recognize any of the printers that are connected. I think this is a softwear issue. Maybe the driver. But i have uninstalled and reinstalled this driver more times then I care to admit. still the computer will see the printer and images are going to the que. But they will not print from the que. They are just being stored there. When I try to print it stops the printing job and does not give any sign of error or alert.

What do you think?
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
First I would run the combo updater for 10.4.8

If that did not work I would Archive and install then update to 10.4.8

if that does not work do a clean install of the system.

be sure to do this after backing up your hard drive or do it on a patition with a free 100GB or more.

I went through this very thing on my G4 Tower about 6 weeks ago.
GS
George_Stark
Dec 8, 2006
James

One other thought..

In the past when I was changing from Photo Black to Matt Black ink carts or visa versa I encountered similar issues as this.

I can’t remember exactly how I cured the problem but I seem to remember I had to make my ink cart changes then go to my "Printer Setup Utility" delete the printer and then re-add the printer again. I’m sure there is plenty of info about the changing of black ink carts on the internet.

George
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
Ya George,
I got the news of how the 2200 was inappropreatly designed, for the Mac’s only. When swapping out the matte for photo black inks you need to uninstall and reinstall.On PC’s they can just swap them. But I prefer matte black and matte papers to gloss, so I set mine up to run Matte and have not changed it back.
I am currently downloading the combo (150Mb) and will install. The idea of having to do a clean install to fix this makes my skin crawl. This seems to me to be nothing more then a virus.
I
iGary
Dec 8, 2006
George’s suggestion of deleting & adding back the queue sounds like a good one to me!
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
This seems to me to be nothing more then a virus.

this is more likely corruption if it were a virus many more would be experiencing it
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
I have now done the OSX 10.4.8 combo install, I verified per missions before and after installation. Deleted and then unplugged my 2200. re plugged in the printer and added it to my printer list. When attempting to print it still stops in the que.
But heres something. My HP psc 2400 will not print either. It is doing the same thing. SO, I am thinking this isn’t a driver issue on the Epson, but something to do with the printer softwear inside OSX 10.4.8.
In the printer list I see in the status colum that my printers are listed as ‘STOPPED’Also there is an exclaimation ( ! ) symble next to my printers.

Would you agree this isn’t driver related?
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
OK, corruption is a good word.
Do you think the republicans did it?
I am trying to diagnos where in my system the corruption lies. I have ruled out the drivers,the connection,ink, paper.

Where next?
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
Archive and install.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 8, 2006
VERIFIED Permissions — or REPAIRED them?

I don’t bother with "verifying" — I always just "Repair" them both — before and after installing any new software..
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Dec 8, 2006
Archive and install should fix the problem. Sounds like an Apple issue, not Epson.

You may only have to chuck prefs for printers and reload the printers into print utility.

Probably not an issue but what happens if you turn off all your fonts with whatever utility you use?
JC
james_culp
Dec 8, 2006
Archive and install did the trick.
I hate when I spend 8 hours trying to fix something. All the while thinking I am saving time by not having to do the archiving and reinstalling. Had I of just bit the bullet yesterday when this first started I could have saved 6 hrs at least.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all of your help.
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
I have learned.

Does it work in a new user?

Yes or no its usually time to Archive and install which takes about 45 minutes.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections